"reducing bushings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbolen

RE

RE

That would be in the middle of a conduit run going from 1 in conduit to 3/4 in a coupling using a re bushing ???

iwire

Staff member
There is nothing in the NEC that prohibits changing raceway sizes in the middle of a run.

The only requirement would be that the smaller raceway be large enough for the conductors installed in it.

Of course common sense says to avoid changing sizes between pull points but I can't say I have never done it.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Of course common sense says to avoid changing sizes between pull points but I can't say I have never done it.

What would be the reasoning? Larger conduit for most of the run for easy pulling, or to match other conduits on the wall for aesthetic reasons, then smaller to fit into a tight space before reaching a pull point?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What would be the reasoning? Larger conduit for most of the run for easy pulling, or to match other conduits on the wall for aesthetic reasons, then smaller to fit into a tight space before reaching a pull point?
More like what is available to connect between two points because somebody changed their mind and the concrete truck is pulling up in the parking lot.

JJWalecka

large raceway, say four inch PVC from pole to outside of building. flush with side walk four inch reduced to 1" into cabinet. Eliminates the need to cut up parking lot in the future . Seen it done with fire alarm and telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.