Threading PVC in the Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a question, Is threading electrical PVC conduit (Sch 40 and/or Sch 80) in the field an approved/listed means for construction?

I personally have never seen this done in the field, nor would I thread PVC in the field. I am questioning if it is not allowed/not allowed per code or standard or if it is not threaded based on convenience or cost.

Thank you for your responses.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm no electrician, but the only method I've ever seen for adding threads to PVC was by gluing a threaded fitting onto the end. Are you talking about cutting threads into a PVC conduit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Personally, never seen nor heard of this being done before.

Likewise. And I was surprised to see a question here about whether PVC (electrical) with one bell end per length was standard or not....
But never threaded.
And I admit that I do not know whether the threaded PVC fittings use molded or cut threads. But the surface treatment on them seems to be different from straight tubing.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't even see a usable purpose for doing so. I suppose if you had a way to do it and you were doing a job where you needed to land the PVC in a box, didn't have a male adapter and the closest supply house was an hour away. But that's a long-shot to carry any kind of threading device on the truck. Probably should just have male adapters for all the common pipe sizes.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't even see a usable purpose for doing so. I suppose if you had a way to do it and you were doing a job where you needed to land the PVC in a box, didn't have a male adapter and the closest supply house was an hour away. But that's a long-shot to carry any kind of threading device on the truck. Probably should just have male adapters for all the common pipe sizes.
If you have a pipe threader that you use on RMC or IMC you have a way to do it. I have threaded PVC before, very seldom though, and not always for use for electrical purposes either so it can be done.

Otherwise:

Short answer is you cannot thread pvc.

And not because it is physically impossible, but because NEC does not permit it.

There is no specific prohibition of it in art. 352, but at same time read 344.28 or 342.28 and then go to 352 and try to find anything similar that permits threading - it is not there.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Hi all,

I have a question, Is threading electrical PVC conduit (Sch 40 and/or Sch 80) in the field an approved/listed means for construction?

I personally have never seen this done in the field, nor would I thread PVC in the field. I am questioning if it is not allowed/not allowed per code or standard or if it is not threaded based on convenience or cost.

Thank you for your responses.

are you sure your not talking about pvc coated rigid conduit?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
If you have a pipe threader that you use on RMC or IMC you have a way to do it. I have threaded PVC before, very seldom though, and not always for use for electrical purposes either so it can be done.

Otherwise:

And not because it is physically impossible, but because NEC does not permit it.

There is no specific prohibition of it in art. 352, but at same time read 344.28 or 342.28 and then go to 352 and try to find anything similar that permits threading - it is not there.

Just because it is not listed as a procedure does not mean that it is not permitted.

I doubt seriously that anyone has thought of proposing it because the chances of it being inplemented in the field is to infrequent to merit.

352.48 Joints. All joints between lengths of conduit, and between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes, shall be made by an approved method.

A threaded joint is an approved method of joining.

kwired

Electron manager
Just because it is not listed as a procedure does not mean that it is not permitted.

I doubt seriously that anyone has thought of proposing it because the chances of it being inplemented in the field is to infrequent to merit.

352.48 Joints. All joints between lengths of conduit, and between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes, shall be made by an approved method.

A threaded joint is an approved method of joining.

Having done it before I will say that unless you have good sharp dies in the threader, it does not thread all that easily without the fear of possibly snapping off the pipe in the threader. The colder the pipe is the easier it threads IIRC. I also kind of wonder just how strong the pipe wall is where it has been threaded - except for sch 80. I do feel that threaded sch 80 is possibly less likely to break than standard male adapters are though.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
ATS for a cell tower back up generator taught me otherwise

ATS for a cell tower back up generator taught me otherwise

Short answer is you cannot thread pvc.
When you are on the top of a mountain, three hour drive from civilization, twice that one way to get somewhere that might have what you need, and are short of fittings, and those missing fittings are the only thing keeping you from getting the job done so you can go home you bet you can!

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When you are on the top of a mountain, three hour drive from civilization, twice that one way to get somewhere that might have what you need, and are short of fittings, and those missing fittings are the only thing keeping you from getting the job done so you can go home you bet you can!
I guess that's about the only scenario I could think of as to why anyone would thread PVC. But as long as we're making up scenarios you also have to ask the question "If you didn't have a female adapter on the truck why would you have the pipe threader on the truck"?

kwired

Electron manager
I guess that's about the only scenario I could think of as to why anyone would thread PVC. But as long as we're making up scenarios you also have to ask the question "If you didn't have a female adapter on the truck why would you have the pipe threader on the truck"?

Welcome to my world:) I seem to always have everything but that one 50 cent fitting needed on the truck.

I am only talking about PVC. I have a young coworker that wanted to specify threading PVC in the field and I assured him it is not an acceptable means for installation. He has found threading tools online. Based on my experience I have never seen PVC threaded in the field and have not heard of anyone else doing it, except for those on this forum.

My problem arose when I was researching justification for why it should not be threaded in the field. Except for those articles mentioned by another (342 and 344) I cannot find anything prohibiting it. I have called a PVC manufacturer and they referred me to the local inspectors. I have contacted local electrical inspectors but have not heard back from them yet.

I appreciate everyone's responses!

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
three hour drive from civilization

Yep, been there.
If need be, you will find that you can cut 5 threads into PVC pretty quickly with a file if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.