Motor Driven Appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In regard to 422.31 & 422.32, what determines a "motor driven appliance ?".
422.31(B) allows us to use a breaker lockout as a disconnecting means for an appliance with a motor greater than 1/8 HP, but 422.32 does not.
I can see such a creature as a commercial mixer which is primarily a motor and a container being a "motor operated appliance", but what about an appliance with say a 15 kw heating coil and a 1/4 HP fan motor ? 422.3 tells us 430 applies, again to motor operated appliances", but I find no Code definition of such.

kwired

Electron manager
422.31(B) allows us to use a breaker lockout as a disconnecting means for an appliance with a motor greater than 1/8 HP, but 422.32 does not.
I can see such a creature as a commercial mixer which is primarily a motor and a container being a "motor operated appliance", but what about an appliance with say a 15 kw heating coil and a 1/4 HP fan motor ? 422.3 tells us 430 applies, again to motor operated appliances", but I find no Code definition of such.
I have asked a similar question in another thread somewhat recently, but had no real consensus of just what a "motor driven appliance" really is. Even asked opinions of appliances like gas water heaters with a draft blower, though those are usually less than 1/8 hp, still got no real clarification if the appliance was considered "motor driven".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

space heaters are covered in 424.19, with or without motors.

that would seem to make something that is not a space heater a motor driven appliance.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

2011 ads clarity over 2008 for these articles. and your heater example is covered in 424.19

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
After I posted, I checked the '11 and it does indeed clarify the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.