Engineer needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to upgrade an existing 200 amp service to a 400 amp service. The service is on a 20' pole and at a fair ground. The fair ground is under the jurisdiction of the school board and they will be doing the inspections. I spoke with the inspector and he is telling me that I must have an electrical engineer, engineer the service and seal it before he will release the power to be turned on. I,ve done many upgrades and this is the first time I've been asked to do this. I have an EC license in Florida an someone told me I could engineer and sign it myself up to a 1000 amps. I've not been able to find this info on the department license website so if anyone could lead me in the right direction I would be grateful of the help.

mgookin

I need to upgrade an existing 200 amp service to a 400 amp service. The service is on a 20' pole and at a fair ground. The fair ground is under the jurisdiction of the school board and they will be doing the inspections. I spoke with the inspector and he is telling me that I must have an electrical engineer, engineer the service and seal it before he will release the power to be turned on. I,ve done many upgrades and this is the first time I've been asked to do this. I have an EC license in Florida an someone told me I could engineer and sign it myself up to a 1000 amps. I've not been able to find this info on the department license website so if anyone could lead me in the right direction I would be grateful of the help.

In Florida you can do 600 amps residential and 800 amps commercial without being in violation of Chapter 471.

But that does not mean a customer can't specify that they want an engineer.

In what capacity is this person saying you need an engineer? Are they the AHJ or the customer? If they're the AHJ, tell them to read up on what they are supposed to be already proficient with!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In Florida you can do 600 amps residential and 800 amps commercial without being in violation of Chapter 471.

But that does not mean a customer can't specify that they want an engineer.

In what capacity is this person saying you need an engineer? Are they the AHJ or the customer? If they're the AHJ, tell them to read up on what they are supposed to be already proficient with!

I read it as the inspector reports to the school board and enforces their rules, which may exceed NEC and may have safety, liability, or some combination at their root.
If the OP has been hired by the fairground administrators, who lease from the school board, then the inspector is neither AHJ nor customer. But his rules still apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.