What Size Cable To Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildog44

I have a 1600A enclosure with a 1200A plug. What do I need to size my cable running to enclosure to, the enclosure or the plug? I'm new to NEC stuff. Thanks.

Mike L.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could you provide some further detail, I'm not grasping your particular installation setup.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I may take a guess, are you saying you have a 1600 amp frame breaker with a 1200 amp rating plug ? If you are asking about the conductors being protected by that device, you can size them based on the 1200 amp rating (the exact size might vary due to other factors).

templdl

If I may take a guess, are you saying you have a 1600 amp frame breaker with a 1200 amp rating plug ? If you are asking about the conductors being protected by that device, you can size them based on the 1200 amp rating (the exact size might vary due to other factors).
Isn't guessing fun? The conductor for breaker, is it 800a and greater(?), the cable's rated ampacity must be equal to greater than 1200a without considering any creating that may apply. If was an adjustable rating plug which it appears that it isn't, then the cable is sized for the maximum setting but the are a couple of exception which normally don't apply.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a 1600A enclosure with a 1200A plug. What do I need to size my cable running to enclosure to, the enclosure or the plug? I'm new to NEC stuff. Thanks.

Mike L.

1200A would require (8) parallel 1/0 per phase, unless you tried to run them in the same conduit, then you would need to derate.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Way too many variables for this ole geeezer to guess wire size. Motor feeder ??, ? conduit fill ? ambient ? etc.
and, of course, if it's 1600 amp frame are they any future plans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.