Thread Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Oh, and my question/curiosity had nothing to do with the fact that I started the thread.
I just wondered why it was brought back up, posted to, then closed.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Going out on a limb here, but I believe the thread was closed in July for not adhering to the format required in that forum (officially formatted proposals/comments only) and then Gus wandered in and commented without realizing it was closed. Moderators can post in closed threads, so it's an easy mistake to make.

If anyone wants the thread reopened, we can move it to NEC and keep going.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bill to me it looks like the thread was inactive for 3 months and thus gets closed automatically. Gus , as George stated, wondered in when it was closed.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Open it up , What the harm?

I still don't understand the 3 month policy and internet troll thing any way. Maybe you can explain in simpler terms?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The thread in question was actually probably manually closed months back, due to the Rules of the Proposal Forum.

Now the question has caused another.:blink:

I didn't make any proposal in that thread, it was just an article about proposed changes. There was/is so much discussion about generators, I just posted it for info, no proposal by me.:happyno:

kwired

Electron manager
Now the question has caused another.:blink:

I didn't make any proposal in that thread, it was just an article about proposed changes. There was/is so much discussion about generators, I just posted it for info, no proposal by me.:happyno:
At the time of posting, there was no more changing going to be done in the 2014 NEC, meaning the forum at this time is limited to 2017 proposals, changes, comments - I guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is really a moot point but the thread would have been automatically closed because of the 3 months limit however it was closed because the proposal forum is only open for a certain period, ie when proposal can be made. One of our mods is responsible for that forum and forgot to close the forum earlier- It gets very little traffic.

If this is a big deal open another thread in a different forum.

The forum rule of closing threads is simply due to the fact that sometimes members browse threads from 3 or 4 years back and then decide to respond. It gets awkward especially when the op is looking for a response immediately.

kwired

Electron manager
It is really a moot point but the thread would have been automatically closed because of the 3 months limit however it was closed because the proposal forum is only open for a certain period, ie when proposal can be made. One of our mods is responsible for that forum and forgot to close the forum earlier- It gets very little traffic.

If this is a big deal open another thread in a different forum.

The forum rule of closing threads is simply due to the fact that sometimes members browse threads from 3 or 4 years back and then decide to respond. It gets awkward especially when the op is looking for a response immediately.
It is too late to make proposals for 2014 but one could talk about proposals for 2017, or later. I would also think even after the proposal period has passed for the 2017, one could possibly continue a discussion for application into the 2020 code.

I do understand the intent to not discuss changes that are already finalized and at this time obviously well past due for 2014, but opening a discussion with serious intent to submit a proposal in the next cycle...

Are replies to topics in this forum strictly monitored to comply with same rules as the opening thread? Many of us don't even know what forum we are in when we reply to things as we use the What's New, or Unread posts shortcuts and get posts from all forums in the results.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think this is Don's baby and the way it was setup. I imagine he is trying to keep it organized. This is not so much a discussion area about changes but more of an area to write your proposal and get feedback. Proposal for the 2017 are not being accepted yet so I think that is why it is closed. Hopefully Don will chime in on what the expectations are and why it is setup this way

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, it's Bob Alexander's baby. It is a place to generate proposals and he keeps a watchful eye on it. It's best to maintain the format to enhance the final product.

The last I checked the forum is open, just monitored to keep it on topic.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ok, this is not to further the question, nor is it a big deal. It was just a curiosity thing.:)

Also, I just looked and the forum it is/was in was indeed the proposal forum. I didn't realize it was in that forum. I don't think I put it in that forum, but I could have by mistake as it was just an informational article that I wanted to share at the time.
It also could have been moved to the "proposal" forum because of the title of the thread.

I was fine with it being closed and actually expected it to be because of time limit on inactivity.

I might as well go fishing now with all the worms that have fallen out of this can!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.