Thermostat/LV wiring above multi-gang light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikezxb

I am considering relocating a wired thermostat about a foot to the side to allow for clearance of a large piece of furniture. The final location of this thermostat would be about six inches above a multi-gang light switch. There is flexibility with the vertical spacing between the new thermostat location and the light switches. Will this violate any NEC codes?

I understand that it is generally not advised to place low voltage wires in parallel to regular AC lines due to the possibility of signal interference and it is also not advised to place thermostats above light switches (especially with dimmers) due to the heat emitted from the switches that may affect the temperature readings but I'm willing to give it a try as long as there aren't any NEC violations or safety concerns. Thanks in advanced.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I am considering relocating a wired thermostat about a foot to the side to allow for clearance of a large piece of furniture. The final location of this thermostat would be about six inches above a multi-gang light switch. There is flexibility with the vertical spacing between the new thermostat location and the light switches. Will this violate any NEC codes?

I understand that it is generally not advised to place low voltage wires in parallel to regular AC lines due to the possibility of signal interference and it is also not advised to place thermostats above light switches (especially with dimmers) due to the heat emitted from the switches that may affect the temperature readings but I'm willing to give it a try as long as there aren't any NEC violations or safety concerns. Thanks in advanced.

No code requirement preventing it, a dimmer will generate heat and give the Tstat a false reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.