Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The standard usage is
120/240 single phase three-wire.

Which is not what Charlie B posted:

and that's what I was questioning - regardless of what it gets called.

Charlie is arguing (I think) that "120 volt three wire" is a reference to 120-0 plus ground, and therefore for consistency 120/240 (120-0-120) should be referred to as four-wire.
I disagree with his premise and therefore reject his conclusion.

JoeStillman

Looks like split-phase to me.

Never, never, never, never, never use Auto-correct. The mistakes you get are worse than the typos. A hunam being can still undrestand a typo, but Auto-correct detroys the meaning.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Looks like split-phase to me.

Never, never, never, never, never use Auto-correct. The mistakes you get are worse than the typos. A hunam being can still undrestand a typo, but Auto-correct detroys the meaning.
Back in the dawn of email, a version of the software I was running at work had autocorrect that I couldn't figure out how to turn off. It always "corrected" the name of an esteemed coworker of mine (whose actual name I cannot remember at the moment) to "Moron".

kwired

Electron manager
It's much better than it used to be.
A few years ago I was puting together a proposal for electrical kit at a water pumping station.
One part of it referred ta borehole pumpset. Word didn't like that. It offered brothel site as a correction.......
I prefer a spell checker that indicates misspelled words but doesn't automatically change them, for the many reasons people have shared with us.

smalltime

"120 volt single phase 3-wire balanced 120/240 volt 200 Amp Electrical Spooner".
I have no idea what spooner has to do with it.

I'm thinking that this is referring to Article 647 (in the 2008). Sensitive Electronic Equipment. This sounds like an IT or audiovisual type job. Maybe they're asking for a isolation transfomer off the 120/240 V system to derive the 60-0-60 balanced power system.

This paper might help: http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf
See page 19.

I see the "roanoke" in your ID. Roanoke, VA?

Besoeker

I prefer a spell checker that indicates misspelled words but doesn't automatically change them, for the many reasons people have shared with us.
I agree.
Being part of a multi-national corporation, we get both US and UK English.
Choosing the appropriate version depends on who you are communicating with.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Beautiful place. I was there a month or so ago. Green mountains all around, and much cooler than Texas. :D

Thanks! I have been to Houston in April and if it gets hotter than it was when I was there it's too hot for me.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
My problem was with their calling for 120 volt single phase 3-wire, which I took to mean Hot, Neutral Ground, and then calling for 120/240 volts. It was inconsistent. I don't mind using the notation of 120/208V, three phase, 4-wire plus ground, or calling it 5-wire. But just be clear and consistent.

In the entertainment industry, we HAVE to specify 4-wire or 5-wire when calling out our three-phase tie-ins. Loads such as chain hoists don't need a neutral, but the lighting dimmers most definitely do. The services have the neutral at the disconnect, but the stagehands don't like having to lug around doubled up 4/0 for a neutral run if they don't have to. ;)

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.