Depth Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breyfom

My lamp post hasn't worked since last October and I have done some voltage testing, but never looked into it any further.

While doing some landscaping around my house I found the wire that runs from my basement to my lamp post is less than 5 inches below ground close to my house. The wire has some cuts in it that may have occured from mowing and edging around my landscaping. Is this a violation of the NEC? Any suggestions on how to get the installers to wire this correctly if it is a violation?

ryan_618

Re: Depth Violation?

Assuming that you are speaking of 120 volts, they are in violation of article 300.5, underground installations. Direct burial cable requires 24" of coverage or 12" of coverage if the entire circuit is GFCI protected. I would say give the installers a phone call.

earlydean

Try contacting your local BB, or a department of consumer protection, if you have one. Worst case, call your lawyer.

Earl

G

Originally posted by breyfom:
My lamp post hasn't worked since last October and I have done some voltage testing, but never looked into it any further.<snip>
Are you the first owner of this house? How long have you owned the house? Was the lamp post installed when the house was built or did you have it installed later? Was it included in the home or was it an add/change? Is the wire labeled NM-B or UF?

5" is some pretty deep mowing and edging :p

../Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.