Fabricating Junction boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where does the code restrict these to be UL approved?
The NEC does not require the boxes covered by Articles 312 and 314 to be listed products. If you require a listed box per your specs, there are a number of sheet metal shops and panel building shops that have the ability to build you a listed enclosure.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But, any AHJ can bounce you on 110.2 if he sees fit. You can of course appeal, but be prepared to explain and defend all points in 110.3, plus anything pertaining to the specific use as outlined in 312 and 314.

Or you can just use a listed one and the AHJ will not bother you with it.

renosteinke

It might help to know what brings you to ask the question. I mean- is this just to settle a bar bet, or is there a real situation?

We've all seen pictures of tuna cans and the like used as "junction boxes," and they're certainly not proper.

It's also true that most of us have had local shops fabricate things that just were not available commercially. In my case, I've had a panel cover and a large pull-box extension made. With metal of similar material, and a matching paint job, inspections were never an issue.

For me, the guiding question is: If I sent this piece to UL, would it pass?

kwired

Electron manager
Seen a few fabricated boxes in the dairy foods processing industry where it is highly desirable to have things made of stainless steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.