Minimum Size for Service Entrance Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobrahead

Question: What is the minimum size service entrance allowed? I chose 8AWG. If the question doesn't specify whether or not it's multiconductor is that correct?

230.202 Service-Entrance Conductors. Service-entrance
conductors to buildings or enclosures shall be installed to
conform to 230.202(A) and (B).
(A) Conductor Size. Service-entrance conductors shall not
be smaller than 6 AWG unless in multiconductor cable.
Multiconductor cable shall not be smaller than 8 AWG.

cobrahead

I was looking in the 'Exceeding 600 Volts' section. I found the following, which raises another question, in section 230 parts II and III:

230.31 Size and Rating.
(A) General. Underground service conductors shall have
sufficient ampacity to carry the current for the load as calculated
in accordance with Article 220 and shall have adequate
mechanical strength.
(B) Minimum Size. The conductors shall not be smaller
than 8 AWG copper or 6 AWG aluminum or copper-clad
aluminum.
Exception: Conductors supplying only limited loads of a
single branch circuit ? such as small polyphase power,
controlled water heaters, and similar loads ? shall not be
smaller than 12 AWG copper or 10 AWG aluminum or
copper-clad aluminum.

230.23 Size and Rating.
(A) General. Conductors shall have sufficient ampacity to
carry the current for the load as calculated in accordance
with Article 220 and shall have adequate mechanical
strength.

(B) Minimum Size. The conductors shall not be smaller
than 8 AWG copper or 6 AWG aluminum or copper-clad
aluminum.
Exception: Conductors supplying only limited loads of a
single branch circuit ? such as small polyphase power,
controlled water heaters, and similar loads ? shall not be
smaller than 12 AWG hard-drawn copper or equivalent.

So is it 8AWG or 12AWG if the question does not mention the exception?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Unfortunately, I think this is one of those times when the answer depends on who is asking the question. If you can, ask your instructor for clarification -- he may not have completely thought the question through when writing it. If that's not possible, or if this is a question from a standardized test, licensing exam, etc., then you're left playing "Guess what I'm thinking" with the test writer. In that case, I think your best bet is to just answer the question exactly as written.

If the question is just asking for the absolute minimum allowed, and #12 AWG is allowed under certain conditions, that's what I would mark. If the question is more specific or provides more detail, that answer would, of course, be revised accordingly.

cobrahead

Unfortunately, I think this is one of those times when the answer depends on who is asking the question. If you can, ask your instructor for clarification -- he may not have completely thought the question through when writing it. If that's not possible, or if this is a question from a standardized test, licensing exam, etc., then you're left playing "Guess what I'm thinking" with the test writer. In that case, I think your best bet is to just answer the question exactly as written.

If the question is just asking for the absolute minimum allowed, and #12 AWG is allowed under certain conditions, that's what I would mark. If the question is more specific or provides more detail, that answer would, of course, be revised accordingly.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. This is for a Texas Master Exam via PSI Exams. It does have a feature for me to leave comments on individual questions. I may just leave comments on questions like this and if I miss the exam by a point or two I might be able to ask for a challenge, not sure about that though.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

There is IMO a chasm between training and the real world. In an exam you will be asked what the minimum sized conductor you may use for a particular application, while in the real world you will just want to know if some of that #10 you have out in the truck will be good enough. :p

cobrahead

There is IMO a chasm between training and the real world. In an exam you will be asked what the minimum sized conductor you may use for a particular application, while in the real world you will just want to know if some of that #10 you have out in the truck will be good enough. :p

I could not agree more!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can hardly wait for a test question that asks "What is the minimum wire size you should bother to carry on your truck."

Status
Not open for further replies.