Sub panel feeder splice from #2 to 4/0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeding a sub panel, the existing panel is 200 amps we are changing it to 100 amp and feeding it from a new switch gear location, is there any thing that says you cant splice from #2 to 4/0? I am running a new conduit to where the conduit junction is and would like to utilize the conduit and wire that is already there. It will be a 100 amp breaker feeding to a 100 amp panel w/breaker. thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am feeding a sub panel, the existing panel is 200 amps we are changing it to 100 amp and feeding it from a new switch gear location, is there any thing that says you cant splice from #2 to 4/0? I am running a new conduit to where the conduit junction is and would like to utilize the conduit and wire that is already there. It will be a 100 amp breaker feeding to a 100 amp panel w/breaker. thanks
As long as the splice is done in an allowed location using an allowed method, there is no reason not to go to a larger size conductor than allowed. It is often done for controlling VD in a long run, and may be necessary when the OCPD will not accept the larger conductor directly.
On the other hand, although it may not be prohibited, going from an oversize conductor at an OCPD to a conductor which is the minimum size for that OCPD can encourage mistakes to be made if the circuit is re-purposed later.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't forget the ground wire size!!!!
The old feeder is an upsize in wire the Ground needs to be upsized at the same percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.