AFCI breakers any better on 3 wire circs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all,
I have a few circuits to run.
Have gfci breakers become ok to use on three wire circs. or is it best to still run 2 wire...

Thank you

Rich

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well you said afci in the title then wrote gfci. IMO I would not use multiwire branch circuit for afci or gfci however it will work as long as the panel manufacturer makes a breaker suitable for the install. Not all of them do.

ritelec

Well you said afci in the title then wrote gfci. IMO I would not use multiwire branch circuit for afci or gfci however it will work as long as the panel manufacturer makes a breaker suitable for the install. Not all of them do.

yes "A" Dennis..............

If the panel manufacturer makes a suitable afci breaker for multi wire branch circuits.......
through the experience of the fine folks here......do they work or should I run the 2 wire branch circuits.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They work but when one circuit goes out so does the other and it makes it harder to troubleshoot. I would avoid doing it

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They work but when one circuit goes out so does the other and it makes it harder to troubleshoot. I would avoid doing it
+1
If you thought that finding a false (or real, for that matter) AFCI trip source on a single 120V circuit was hard, just try it on an MWBC. :)

I would only do it if I had 240V loads.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
what he said, several times over.

when the stupid thing becomes problematic, do
you want two plug circuits dead?

It's a nightmare to troubleshoot a single pole circuit. I cannot imagine dealing with a MWBC

Status
Not open for further replies.