Acorn clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
General Forum seems like the best spot to share this since there is no "tricks of the trade" forum.

I slip my acorn clamp onto my groundrod prior to driving if it's tough going and there's a chance the head will mushroom.

It's always annoying when the clamp keeps sliding down the rod and/or gets buried into the soil. Seems to happen from the vibration even if I snug up the bolt.

Driving a rod last week and decided to try putting a ty-wrap under the clamp to stabilize it and to my amazement it worked fabulously!!!

Figured I'd share my "discovery".

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
General Forum seems like the best spot to share this since there is no "tricks of the trade" forum.

I slip my acorn clamp onto my groundrod prior to driving if it's tough going and there's a chance the head will mushroom.

It's always annoying when the clamp keeps sliding down the rod and/or gets buried into the soil. Seems to happen from the vibration even if I snug up the bolt.

Driving a rod last week and decided to try putting a ty-wrap under the clamp to stabilize it and to my amazement it worked fabulously!!!

Or duct tape... :D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My first mental image was trying to get the ty-wrap under the screw and then tightening it. But I finally figured it out. It has been a long day....

PS: Quote from the installation instructions on the tire-rubber generator on my first English (British) bicycle.
After clamping the generator mounting bracket to the seat stay by the rear wheel, be sure to "drive well home the sharp pointed earthing screw."

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My first mental image was trying to get the ty-wrap under the screw and then tightening it. But I finally figured it out. It has been a long day....

PS: Quote from the installation instructions on the tire-rubber generator on my first English (British) bicycle.
After clamping the generator mounting bracket to the seat stay by the rear wheel, be sure to "drive well home the sharp pointed earthing screw."

I like your analogy.

ritelec

Got to use the uv rated ones if you're driving it during the day.................

Personally I wrap it with black tape so I can drive them day or night.. :- )

Tricks of the trade......sounds fun

Quickie................. Fishing heat trace (de-icing cable) cable through pvc pipe (or metal I reckon) with tight plumbing fittings whatever..............

Cork, eye hook (to cork), fishing line (to eye hook) , couple of gallons of water..............pour away...............there's your drag line :- }

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Those of you that use some form of tape must remove it prior to driving your rod the last few inches so that 8 feet of rod will still be in "direct" contact with earth, right? :p:lol:
Just as you cannot leave any part of the rod sticking up where it can be seen. :angel:
So the clamp and wire have to be suitable for earth contact too.

So are you saying that all the rods I see the top are installed incorrectly?

That is my understanding....unless the rod is greater than 8' long.

250.53 (G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered, the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom is encountered at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the aboveground end and the grounding electrode attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've always driven my rods to an inch below grade (save for a few difficult scenarios).

I just thought of another trick, though.

Get the rod started in the ground as far as you can by hand. I usually stab the earth with it, pull it out, repeat a few times until it doesn't go down further or you can't pull it back out. Then take a thin piece of cardboard and poke the top of the rod through it and push the cardboard all the way down to the ground. Now slip the acorn over the rod. Let it fall and rest on the cardboard. Hammer down the rod as far as you need to go. The acorn should just lay on the cardboard until you are almost done. Then just rip away the cardboard and finish up.

Anybody see a problem with that?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've always driven my rods to an inch below grade (save for a few difficult scenarios).

I just thought of another trick, though.

Get the rod started in the ground as far as you can by hand. I usually stab the earth with it, pull it out, repeat a few times until it doesn't go down further or you can't pull it back out. Then take a thin piece of cardboard and poke the top of the rod through it and push the cardboard all the way down to the ground. Now slip the acorn over the rod. Let it fall and rest on the cardboard. Hammer down the rod as far as you need to go. The acorn should just lay on the cardboard until you are almost done. Then just rip away the cardboard and finish up.

Anybody see a problem with that?

Yep! The cardboard lets the blood pool up from the gash on my hand where my fence post driver is lifted too far off the rod, then trying to drive the rod with my skin. This will get blood all over the clamp! The blood needs to soak into the ground!:(:lol:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yep! The cardboard lets the blood pool up from the gash on my hand where my fence post driver is lifted too far off the rod, then trying to drive the rod with my skin. This will get blood all over the clamp! The blood needs to soak into the ground!:(:lol:

Save your knuckels , use a demo hammer.:thumbsup:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

Plant the cardboard and see if another you grows in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.