Recessed Metallic In-use Cover Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEMA 4X

I've followed this formum for years, but this is my first post. Ever since in-use covers were mandated, I've been on the hunt for an aesthetic, long life unit for upscale construction. Academic buildings are built for 100 year life, plastic covers typically last <1 year, and the die cast offerings are hideous. Heck, most of the ugly metallic ones hang up and break within 5 years if they're being used much. Does anyone know of a semi-recessed (preferably bronze) cover that would look acceptable next to the front door of a Class 'A' Building? I've looked high and low and can't find one. Paying a premium for such a unit would not be an issue to us. I'm referring to locations where in-use is required - we spec and install standard bronze weatherproof covers when we can. Thanks for any help.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I've followed this formum for years, but this is my first post. Ever since in-use covers were mandated, I've been on the hunt for an aesthetic, long life unit for upscale construction. Academic buildings are built for 100 year life, plastic covers typically last <1 year, and the die cast offerings are hideous. Heck, most of the ugly metallic ones hang up and break within 5 years if they're being used much. Does anyone know of a semi-recessed (preferably bronze) cover that would look acceptable next to the front door of a Class 'A' Building? I've looked high and low and can't find one. Paying a premium for such a unit would not be an issue to us. I'm referring to locations where in-use is required - we spec and install standard bronze weatherproof covers when we can. Thanks for any help.

As riograndeelectric mentioned, Arlington Products makes a really nice device for this and in my view far superior to any bubble cover, both in looks and function. The only down side is it takes a little preplanning on rough and knowing the type you need for the wall construction involved.
The other down side is they are still plastic and not really what most would consider "spec" grade. Arlington is a pretty aggressive company when it comes to changing the status quo. You may want to approach them to see if they have any interest in developing a product similar to their existing product but more of a "spec" grade.
You raise a valid point for a commercial application as even an "extra duty" in use cover mentioned in the NEC is a hokey looking thing and not much better than a plastic bubble cover.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Saw these today look interesting don't know anything about them though...
I just installed a couple of them yesterday. They are available in a couple of colors at Big Orange, FWIW.

They are plastic, and look it, but they are better looking than the clear bubble in-use covers, especially when they are closed.
When in use, they can look a little odd with the bellows only half open.
They are easy to install (using keyhole slots for the attachment screws) and fit just about any single-gang receptacle combination.
Too soon to tell what they will look like after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.