Lighting circuits per sqft??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I bid off of architecturals only because thats all they had. they know there will be change orders but i am trying to make it as painless as possible by not doing a bunch of unnecessary work. All they said was rehab the house and bring it up to code.

Yeah, you should be alright then. I know it would be easier if you could just do what you bid. If they insist on going above the code it's a change order. Kind of sneaky the way they tried to do it though.

I was given a set of prints for a residential remodel by a general contractor and in the electrical notes it states "Provide one light circuit for each 500 S.F. of livable area".

Theoretically, if you take the note literally, in a 2000 sq. ft. house you could add 4 lighting circuits all into the same room the panel is located in. Not what they're looking for, but you would satisfy the note the way it is written.

jwelectric

I was given a set of prints for a residential remodel by a general contractor and in the electrical notes it states "Provide one light circuit for each 500 S.F. of livable area". But i cannot find it in the 2011 NEC anywhere. I am trying to save time in having to separate all the lights and receptacles onto separate circuits. We are just rehabbing the house and adding the appropriate arc fault, bath gfi, kitchen and laundry circuits. Please help. Thanks
The "light" circuit for every 500 square feet includes lights and receptacles not just light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.