ground rod connection for sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

I am installing a 100A sub panel, anyway we had to move the location to an opposing wall within the structure. I am entering the building with PVC and then terminating the PVC into a 10x10 enclosure. The remainder of the run will be EMT to the subpanel. Can the GEC be bonded to the enclosure where I take off w/ EMT and the conduit be used as the ground, provided I use grounding bushing and locknut on respective ends. I am using 3 # 1 conductors aluminum and a number 4 aluminum, 4 wire, installation single phase. Im only asking because since we moved the panel location and the original location was 5 feet from the grounding electrode.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am installing a 100A sub panel, anyway we had to move the location to an opposing wall within the structure. I am entering the building with PVC and then terminating the PVC into a 10x10 enclosure. The remainder of the run will be EMT to the subpanel. Can the GEC be bonded to the enclosure where I take off w/ EMT and the conduit be used as the ground, provided I use grounding bushing and locknut on respective ends. I am using 3 # 1 conductors aluminum and a number 4 aluminum, 4 wire, installation single phase. Im only asking because since we moved the panel location and the original location was 5 feet from the grounding electrode.

Does the panel even need a GEC?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If the panel is on a detached building then yes.
I belive you will need a disconnect on the outside of the building too.

All depends on the code cycle.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The OP is not real clear as to just what he is up to.

I agree if it comes from another building he needs a GEC. I am not convinced he can run the GEC to his enclosure though. OTOH, I am not sure what actual code provision would prohibit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.