Residential Smoke Detectors in Commercial Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

I recently did the electrical design for a small, 1200 square foot, commons building at an apartment complex. It is classified as a Group B occupancy. The local fire marshal is requiring that the contractor install residential smoke detectors in it.
I am very reluctant to specify that since I believe residential detectors are not listed for commercial use. Does anyone have any different knowledge?
Thanks for your help.
Jim T

dhalleron

People confuse smoke alarms with smoke detectors all the time. Smoke detectors connect to an alarm panel. Smoke alarms are what we commonly install on 120VAC with battery and they have a sounder.

Smoke alarms are mostly listed per UL217. I don't think UL217 mentions anything about being used in commercial. That being said, I have installed lots of smoke alarms in the common hallways of apartments and in the clubhouse area. That was over 20 years ago though.

My understanding is residential is inside the living space. Once you move into the common hallway or clubhouse, then a commercial fire alarm system is required.

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=0217.html

jtester

Dale
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the fire chief, explained my concerns, and assured him that with an e-mail or other written instruction I would specify them. He said he would get back with me. I suspect he'll review UL 217, we will see.
Thanks
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.