Mad Bar, Madison, Jiffy, F Supports Approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Personally, I call them Madison Bars.

Found a thread here but it was closed...........no mention of them being "approved" or not.

I'm asking because I heard several years back that they weren't (although that hasn't stopped me from using them...

Are they?

Thank you.

Volta

Approved means acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction, so you'd really need to speak with your local inspector to truly know.

However, I can't imagine anyone having a leg to stand on in rejecting them where a non-structural box mounting would be allowed. As in, other than some types of fire-resistant or -rated walls.

Or with non-metallic boxes.

Or in highly corrosive environments.

Or where subject to unusual vibration.

Or similar, but not across the board.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Personally, I call them Madison Bars.

Found a thread here but it was closed...........no mention of them being "approved" or not.

I'm asking because I heard several years back that they weren't (although that hasn't stopped me from using them...

Are they?

Thank you.

My SWAG would be that they are OK for old work as long as they are accepted as a mounting means by the box manufacturer. So, for example, if you are using the Hubbell version (P/N 977) then they are described as U/L listed :
UL 514-A listed, File E195978
You would have to follow through the UL standard to see more about where and how it can be used.
The Hubbell instructions say only that it requires a box that has plaster ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.