Table 310.15 (B)(6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Have a question regarding this table.
I have a 200A 120/240 Volt single phase service that is currently established at a pole barn. I am looking to feed a new dwelling that is being built on the property. In sizing the conductors for a 150A panel located in the house, can I use the #1 CU that is listed in this table or do I need to go to 1/0 CU ? Seems that I ran into this years ago and the AHJ said that once it is beyond the service entrance conductors and the meter base it is a sub feed and no longer falls under this table. The new feed will be coming from a 200A 3R panel via a 150A plug in breaker it will not be feeding directly off the load side of the meter. Thanks much.

Volta

Is the pole barn associated with the dwelling unit?

If yes, I'd say 1/0 minimum.

If not, you may have a case with the smaller wire as 100% of the loads associated with the dwelling unit would then be flowing though the main power feeder.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Have a question regarding this table.
I have a 200A 120/240 Volt single phase service that is currently established at a pole barn. I am looking to feed a new dwelling that is being built on the property. In sizing the conductors for a 150A panel located in the house, can I use the #1 CU that is listed in this table or do I need to go to 1/0 CU ? Seems that I ran into this years ago and the AHJ said that once it is beyond the service entrance conductors and the meter base it is a sub feed and no longer falls under this table. The new feed will be coming from a 200A 3R panel via a 150A plug in breaker it will not be feeding directly off the load side of the meter. Thanks much.
310.15(B)(6), moved to (B)(7) in the 2011 edition allows its Table to be used for a main feeder to the dwelling unit... i.e. it is not limited to service conductors.

For individual dwelling units of one family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(7), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors, service-lateral conductors, and feeder conductors that serve as the main power feeder to each dwelling unit and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor.

nizak

The only association the pole barn has with the dwelling is that it's on the same property and owned by the dwelling owner.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The feeder must supply all electrical utilization equipment associated with the dwelling unit. For example, an AC condenser unit for the house HVAC cannot be supplied by the pole barn panel separate from the house feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.