lightning protection for overhead 50 pair cat 3 phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyRules

We have been asked to string a 50 pair phone line between 2 buildings. They asked about lightning protection. The only thing I have found is you can put in a "static" wire above this and ground it as a form of lightning protection. Anyone have a clue what they are asking for if not this? :?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We have been asked to string a 50 pair phone line between 2 buildings. They asked about lightning protection. The only thing I have found is you can put in a "static" wire above this and ground it as a form of lightning protection. Anyone have a clue what they are asking for if not this? :?
The only other thing I can think of would be to provide surge/lightning protection to all 50 pairs at both ends of the run where they enter the buildings. Normally, for residential installations this protection is provided by TELCO and is integrated into the termination and demarcation unit. Not sure what you would use for a 50 pair cable, so I will Google 50 pair telephone cable lightning arrester and see what comes up.

This PDF looks useful in explaining some basic principles and also includes a catalog listing for a $500 unit suitable for a 50 pair cable entering a building.That includes the least expensive individual line protection units. :)
The PDF appeals to NEC, but without giving a section number, as follows:
In order to safeguard buildings and personnel from dangerous electrical surges, the National Electric Code (NEC) requires UL497 Primary Protection for incoming communication lines. This requirement applies to Service Providers (Telcos) at their demarcation point, and to Customer Premise owners and installers for runs between buildings in industrial, commercial, or campus environments.

Another catalog page lists a variety of similar purposed devices.

Sounds like you will have to provide for something like that at both ends, including splicing or terminating the wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.