JB Accessibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan8943

I've got a 3/4" conduit which is stubbed up into a wall from below a concrete floor. This will feed 5-7 circuits for a living, bedroom, and bath area. I can't put a JB in the wall without having accessibility. I can go up the wall into the attic space and put a junction box to do the 5-7 circuits. I was wondering if there is an easier way to split the circuits in the wall. I'm thinking there is a box which is larger than a typical 20 cu in receptacle box but about half of the box can be used as a junction box. I'm looking for the best way to do this. Thanks.

sfav8r

I've got a 3/4" conduit which is stubbed up into a wall from below a concrete floor. This will feed 5-7 circuits for a living, bedroom, and bath area. I can't put a JB in the wall without having accessibility. I can go up the wall into the attic space and put a junction box to do the 5-7 circuits. I was wondering if there is an easier way to split the circuits in the wall. I'm thinking there is a box which is larger than a typical 20 cu in receptacle box but about half of the box can be used as a junction box. I'm looking for the best way to do this. Thanks.

Can you use a bigger box and then use a single-gang ring with a receptacle so that it's accessible?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

By the time you try and split the circuits in a receptacle box you could just as easily run on up to the attic and set your JB, especially since there are multiple rooms involved.

You might also check your derating for the conduit. Sounds like you are already marginal with 7 circuits in that conduit unless you have MWBCs or have run larger wire.

Duncan8943

Larger Box may be the best solution

Larger Box may be the best solution

I'm thinking that using a 4-11/16" box with a single gang mud ring will work. I may have to use a box extension to make sure that I have enough box volume. However, this may be my best solution. The ceiling on both sides of the wall are vaulted and to truly put a JB in an accessible location in the attic would require about 25' of conduit. If I use the box with single gang mud ring then my work becomes significantly less. I will have 4 circuits that I can tie in that will be only a few feet away. Thanks for the help. I would much rather ask someone with more experience than do a bunch of work and then realize that I could have saved time and money.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If a 4 11/16" box does not provide enough volume you could use a multi-gang box like one of these with a single or two gang cover.
moEGnTKT5tIUK1g4SJwCY7w.jpg

[

Status
Not open for further replies.