Rerouting Multiple Circuits to New Service Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

We have a project where we are replacing old electrical service equipment with a new service panelboard and at least two branch circuit panelboards. The existing service is a mess. Multiple wireways, multiple service disconnects, service conduits and connections added over the years to increase capacity, etc.

The new service equipment and panelboards are about 25 to 30 feet away from the existing. We have all types of circuit and feeder sizes to reroute to the new equipment; From small branch circuits to feeders up to 350 MCM. I would like some advice and comments on how physically to reroute these circuits. We are planning to use wireways and junction boxes to splice existing circuits and feeders and reroute new circuits to the new service equipment.

So, I install my wireway or junction box and I have to dismantle the existing conduit back to a point where I then extend a new piece from the end of the conduit into the wireway/junction box, run a new conduit from this junction point to the new equipment, splice on to the existing conductors and connect circuit or circuits to a new circuit breaker(s). In my first step in dismantling the conduit what would be the best way to handle the existing conductors in the raceways? I suppose we could attach a pull rope to the conductors, go the nearest pull point beyond our junction point, pull back beyond new junction point, install new raceway into the junction point, and pull conductors into the junction/splice point.

Is it acceptable or feasible at least for small conductors to dismantle the conduit with conductors in them back to the termination point, cut the conductors to proper length, and install conduit over the conductors and into the junction/splice point? I was also thinking of installing conduit bodies on the end of the conduits to extend new feeders/circuits into the junction/splice point.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on the best approach to rerouting and splicing of the conductors.

Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Many folks here use the existing termination point (panel, etc) and convert that to a j box.
(Some inspectors might now allow)
I would think it's a violation to remove existing conduits with the conductors inside, but on smaller circuits its done all the time.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Many folks here use the existing termination point (panel, etc) and convert that to a j box.
I would think it's a violation to remove existing conduits with the conductors inside, but on smaller circuits its done all the time.

On what possible basis would this be a violation in and off itself?

I don't see 300.18 as requiring the removal of the conductors before the conduit can be removed.

I might accept the idea that you can't modify the old conduit unless you remove the conductors first, which on reflection is probably what you meant.

I am not sure that what he is proposing is a violation of 300.18 anyway.

(A) Complete Runs. Raceways, other than busways or exposed
raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be
installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points
prior to the installation of conductors.

It seems to me he is removing the conduit back to a splicing point.

Last edited:

hbendillo

The old service equipment was located in what was a dedicated electrical room that had a lot of space in it. They decided to install a commercial dishwasher in the space at some point in the middle of the space and over the years with all the moisture you can imagine the what kind of shape all the equipment is in. They want to remove all the equipment if possible but we could consider this for some of the larger disconnects and feeders.

hbendillo

I was looking for that article. Could this be referring to new installations as the raceway is already installed complete in this case but needs to be modified? I frankly would like to pull the conductors out to modify the raceways but it would create a lot more down time during the switchover.

Status
Not open for further replies.