NM exposed to physical damage? Attic crawl area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello......
I'll be running nm in attic area.
The attic is finished in the center, and has knee walls on both sides (peak down to soffit where it's dead area and they box it)

The area on the other side of these walls are very low and small but it will get me to where I need to be.
No one in there right mind goes into this area ( except little birds that crap all over and I guess me :- } )

Can I run the nm perpendicular to the joists laying them on top of the joists and stapling them.?
Hug the knee wall side or soffit side?
Maybe use a 2X4 as a runner with them?
Or am I drilling?

Thank you
Rich

John120/240

If access is tight, no chance of storage in these areas I say your'e OK. Drilling joist in this situation would be a PITA.
Running boards HECK NO. In attics with ample access where storage may be possible, closer attention to cable routing would be necessary.

Volta

I think you'll find that if the finished attic has permanent stairs, that in the unfinished areas you'll need to provide guard strips next to the NM at all points that are under 7' from the "floor" joists. That is my interpretation of the text given in Article 320, which 334 incorporates by reference, as I recall.

Thus is where the cables are run at angles to the structural members. Alternatively, you can drill holes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The area you mention is fine to run over the joist. I usually keep them to the outside wall of the space where no one could crawl ontop of the them.

kwired

Electron manager
Hello......
I'll be running nm in attic area.
The attic is finished in the center, and has knee walls on both sides (peak down to soffit where it's dead area and they box it)

The area on the other side of these walls are very low and small but it will get me to where I need to be.
No one in there right mind goes into this area ( except little birds that crap all over and I guess me :- } )

Can I run the nm perpendicular to the joists laying them on top of the joists and stapling them.?
Hug the knee wall side or soffit side?
Maybe use a 2X4 as a runner with them?
Or am I drilling?

Thank you
Rich
Does that mean you crap all over in there too?:)

Volta

The area you mention is fine to run over the joist. I usually keep them to the outside wall of the space where no one could crawl ontop of the them.

Do you feel that no guard strips are required? As I interpret it they are.

NEC 334.23 said:
In Accessible Attics. The installation of cable in accessible attics or roof spaces shall also comply with 320.23.

NEC 320.23 said:
In Accessible Attics. Type AC cables in accessible attics or roof spaces shall be installed as specified in 320.23(A) and (B).
(A) Cables Run Across the Top of Floor Joists. Where run across the top of floor joists, or within 2.1 m (7 ft) of the floor or floor joists across the face of rafters or studding, the cable shall be protected by substantial guard strips that are at least as high as the cable. Where this space is not accessible by permanent stairs or ladders, protection shall only be required within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the nearest edge of the scuttle hole or attic entrance.
(B) Cable Installed Parallel to Framing Members. Where the cable is installed parallel to the sides of rafters, studs, or ceiling or floor joists, neither guard strips nor running boards shall be required, and the installation shall also comply with 300.4(D).

Status
Not open for further replies.