Lighting in commercial restrooms, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bark

In a public building, ie, retail, school, office etc, Is there any code requirement for emergency lighting, back up or otherwise. Would a two ballast fixture, one for normal power on a switch, the other wired directly to the circuit for 24 hr lighting be a requirement? I thought this could be a building code issue.

david

In a public building, ie, retail, school, office etc, Is there any code requirement for emergency lighting, back up or otherwise. Would a two ballast fixture, one for normal power on a switch, the other wired directly to the circuit for 24 hr lighting be a requirement? I thought this could be a building code issue.

In commercial buildings you have egress lighting, the number of exits and the length of the egress travel generally will trigger when emergency lighting is a requirement .

You also have special provisions in other types of occupancy for example health care has essential electrical system that may require emergency lighting even if the egress requirements do not trigger emergency lighting

mgookin

Between building code and life safety code we have always required emergency lighting in restrooms. But check with your AHJ before you spend someone's money.

eprice

The IBC in Section 1006, requires emergency power for lighting in rooms that require two or more exits. That would be one big restroom. Emergency lighting in a restroom is probably a good idea, but is not required by the IBC.

Last edited:

baddriver

Take a look at section 1006 of the International Building Code.

MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION​
1006.3 Illumination emergency power. The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises' electrical supply. In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate all of the following areas:​

1. [*=1]Aisles and unenclosed egress stairways in rooms and spaces that require two or more means of egress.
    [*=1]Corridors, exit enclosures and exit passageways in buildings required to have two or more exits.
    [*=1]Exterior egress components at other than their levels of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.
    [*=1]Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1027.1, in buildings required to have two or more exits.
    [*=1]Exterior landings as required by Section 1008.1.6 for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

My opinion is the restroom is not required to have egress lighting.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Seems to me this might have been an OSHA requirement but not sure of exact requirements. Seem to always see them in industrial use buildings.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Personally I appreciated when the premises don't require that I grope around in the dark to finish my "business". On the other hand, my mini MagLite is almost surgically attached to my left hip so for me, not as much of a problem.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Personally I appreciated when the premises don't require that I grope around in the dark to finish my "business". On the other hand, my mini MagLite is almost surgically attached to my left hip so for me, not as much of a problem.

It could lead to a problem if the lights go out and you are left handed and it is time to wipe.

Some jurisdictions do require it in bathrooms even if there is only one entrance.

It was proposed as a requirement and failed on a floor vote.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It could lead to a problem if the lights go out and you are left handed and it is time to wipe.

Some jurisdictions do require it in bathrooms even if there is only one entrance.

It was proposed as a requirement and failed on a floor vote.

When you're ambidextrous, who cares?;) And if you're wondering why it's not on the right hip, that's where the Leatherman lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.