1200 amp in three 3" Sch 80 Conduits?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSTech

Greetings,
A couple years ago we poured a pad for a generator and transfer switch. The transfer switch will be located on the outdoor pad next to the generator. Under the pad are 3 sets of 3" schedule 80 PVC (see picture before concrete was poured). 9 conduits come up at the transfer switch, 3 of these go to the generator, 3 to the service, and 3 to the transformer.
A couple years ago this was going to be 800 amps but today it is 1200 amps (500 KW generator instead of a 300 KW). Using compact conductors I can almost use 600 MCM copper. I would have a 3/0 equipment ground and as small a neutral as possible to squeeze it into the pipe. I haven't done a neutral unbalance calculation yet.
Does anyone know of a compact conductor that maybe has a little smaller dimension than is listed in Chapter 9 Table 5A? Because the generator, transformer, and 1200 amp service are all within 10 feet maybe the inspector will allow a little fudge. Three 500 MCM calculates to 1140 amps and I don't think I can go to the next size breaker as it is over 800 amps. I'm probably ok coming from the transformer as this can be 4 wire rather than 5 wire. Now I wish I had used schedule 40 as that would give me some more room. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. A saw, hammerdrill and a 4th pipe covered with 2" of concrete is not completely out of the question but would be an enormous amount of work. Thanks!!
Dave K

Attachments

• genset pad.jpg
    genset pad.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You can get compact copper?

Try running the calcs with two parallel sets in each raceway. Even though you will have to derate, you should end up higher. Large conductors have poor ampacity per area

hm....

parallel 4/0's will work. eight of them in a 3" schedule 80 pvc is 40.2% fill.

put a tail off each piece of equipment, and run a 4/0 bare in the ground,
cadwelding it all together? leave the ground out of the pipe.
works fine in power plants.

derated to 80%, that still gives you 416 amps per pipe.

Last edited:

NSTech

Thanks for the advice on the 1200 amp!!

Thanks for the advice on the 1200 amp!!

Because I have to derate to 80% I didn't even bother to check on running parallel 4/0 in each pipe. But it does seem to work! (Two 4/0 at 90 degrees is 520 amps x .8 = 416). I did the calculation with a reduced neutral and 3/0 ground and I'm well under the 2.577 schedule 80 40%. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.