Swimming pool light rewiring advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgelectric

I have a customer requesting that I relocate the transformer from inside the diving board to outside the inground swimming pool patio.
Basically the transformer is located inside the diving board base. There is a feed conduit and load from the xformer to the light stubbing up into the base. Customer wants the transformer moved to the outside of the concrete patio.
I have never wired a pool light so i am not familiar with the construction of the light and conduit run beneath the patio.
I plan to dig about 2' beneath the patio intercept the conduit and extend to the outside of the pool. There is SO ran through the conduit to the light fixture.
Any advice would be appreciated from those with experience in wiring pool lights.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I do not know squat/much/anything about Article 680 installs, but SO cord in a conduit outside does not sound right.

Actually, from my limited experience, it is right. Pool fixtures are generally two kinds, wet niche, and dry niche. Wet niche fixtures are self contained wired fixtures with a long cord that looks like SO molded in place. It generally runs to junction box at least 10 feet ( I think this is the code) from the edge of the pool. There is often a transformer at this point to step the voltage down. So to the OP, I am not sure exactly what you are describing, but unless you are replacing the niche light, or the point you are going is closer than the original, you are going to have to have a junction box anyway. If the existing is closer than 10 feet fro the edge of the pool, I don't think it will comply with current codes, so you will need to either leave it alone or take the chance of needing to do major repairs.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Looks like or is SO cord. A listed cable is a big difference than a non compliant cord.:)

"Looks like", which is exactly why I chose that wording. I felt and feel that it was an appropriate response, since I believe that was what the OP was trying to say. I didn't want to get hung up on semantics.

growler

I do not know squat/much/anything about Article 680 installs, but SO cord in a conduit outside does not sound right.

The light and cord (potted connections) come togather and list for the use.

The good news is that I think you can purchase a new fixure with a cord up to 50 ft in length.

Bad news is I think that last section of PVC needs to be 1". So you will probably need to make sure you can run conduit all the way to the junction box. Probably need a ground wire form this new junction box to the first junction box to tie into the pool bonding.

As strathead says this is going to be a major job.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Standard Pool Lights

Standard Pool Lights

I ran pool operations for several years on one commercial property of the resort type.
The lights used in this pool which apparently are common were 120V with an underwater rating. They are SO wired from the factory and you specify the length of cord from a few choices. The conduit runs back to a main panel above ground and when replacing lights you remove and re-pull the entire run.
These units were bought from an outfit called Intermountain AquaTech in Utah.
I have not encountered transformer run types in swimming pools.

bgelectric

pool light

pool light

This is basically the setup the customer has. See picture.
What they are looking to have done is relocate the transformer which is located in the patio diving board enclosure to outside the patio into an inground j box. After doing some reading in the NEC it looks like the closest i can be to the inside wall is 4' and at least 4" above the patio or deck.
My question is if im 8' outside of the inside wall do i still have to be 4" above patio or 8" above highest water level since i want to relocate the transformer....

poollight.jpg

Attachments

• poollight.jpg
    poollight.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

bgelectric

pool light

pool light

Another option i might have is to extend the so cord to the outside of the patio, splice onto thhn then pull wire in the new conduit back to the house and mount the xformer at the house. Therefore i will have the xformer at the house which is definitely more than 4" above grade. Would there be any issues code wise with this installation?
The xformer is 300w 120v to 12v.
A little background: the landscapers ran the new conduit with out me knowing since the customer asked them to. Its a straight shot from the house to the existing pool light xformer location.

Status
Not open for further replies.