210.63 Receptacle by the A/C unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I find it interesting the International Residential Code, Section 3801.11 (2003 Edition) states that a convenience outlet is required for attic or crawl space installations. If the unit is grade level, then it appears the requirement does not apply. Depends on which code the dwelling is being wired under.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I guess that word just was not readily accessible. :)
I guess it wasn't to me.

I don't think the code wants to go with "readily accessible" because if the equipment is on the roof, the receptacle would not be "readily accessible". The code should require that the receptacle be "readily accessible from the equipment".

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I find it interesting the International Residential Code, Section 3801.11 (2003 Edition) states that a convenience outlet is required for attic or crawl space installations. If the unit is grade level, then it appears the requirement does not apply. Depends on which code the dwelling is being wired under.

E3801.7 requires grade level outlets on the front and back of house that could be used for servicing the ac equipment, the only caveat is the possible 25 foot distance.

E3801.11 became E3901.11 and the verbiage "at same level" was added to cover all three locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.