Flatscreen TV over fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Customers prefer to mount tv's over fireplaces it seems.... Is the heat from the fireplace going to damage the tv?

If the fireplace is poorly enough designed that the ball over it gets hot, the TV may be damaged just as it would be by the same temperature anywhere
else.
If there is a deep mantle, it should shield the TV from the heat.
If the fireplace is well designed, the only heat will be line of sight radiant heat.
If there is a fan forced or convective heat vent system, it might cause more best above the fireplace.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with GD, if the fireplace is designed properly it's not a problem, however mounting a TV over a fireplace is a poor design. Every A/V design pro will tell you that having to look up at an unnatural line of sight is not a great way to watch television.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Honestly, if someone is so unaware of proper viewing to want a TV over the fireplace, then who cares if it's damaged from heat. They probably don't use the fireplace much anyway.

Anybody with half a brain will quickly figure out that their neck strain is caused by the TV being mounted to high.

TV 101 - The center of the screen should be at eye level while you are sitting.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Honestly, if someone is so unaware of proper viewing to want a TV over the fireplace, then who cares if it's damaged from heat. They probably don't use the fireplace much anyway.

Anybody with half a brain will quickly figure out that their neck strain is caused by the TV being mounted to high.

I understand why someone might want to do it, though. What is the focal point of the seating in the room? It could be the fireplace, or it could be the TV. If you try to combine/compromise and if the TV is at eye level when you are seated, there is a problem with radiant heat from the fireplace if the TV is too close to it. Heat above the mantle isn't usually a problem; lots of folks have candles on the mantle.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

If you are reclining on the couch, the TV may well be in your line of sight without neck strain.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you are reclining on the couch, the TV may well be in your line of sight without neck strain.
Not only that, but when the kids (or grandkids) stand right in front of the TV, there's no longer a need to yell at them to sit down or move. Now they can stand there or run back and forth all they want, and you still have an unobstructed view of the screen above their heads. That's been the single greatest thing about my dad deciding to mount his 60" above the fireplace.

I've also never noticed any neck strain watching TV at Dad's house, but his living room is bigger than most, and sitting back a ways helps you not have to crane your neck back to see. I think it's sort of like sitting midway back in the movie theater vs. right in the front row.

mgookin

Places for tv over fireplace:
Mancave
Country Club
Locker Room at the gym
etc...

I can see it being designed that way by some artsy interior designer with no common sense.

It's a matter of whether that fireplace produces heat. Many are only aesthetic and have no heat at all.

I wouldn't put one over a wood burning fireplace, but a tiny gas log that barely toasts a marshmallow? No problem!

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Places for tv over fireplace:
Mancave
Country Club
Locker Room at the gym
etc...

I can see it being designed that way by some artsy interior designer with no common sense.

It's a matter of whether that fireplace produces heat. Many are only aesthetic and have no heat at all.

I wouldn't put one over a wood burning fireplace, but a tiny gas log that barely toasts a marshmallow? No problem!
I agree that it depends on the fireplace whether heat will be a problem. I tried to edit my earlier post to say this, but I guess I waited too long and the option to edit had already disappeared.

I have been in houses where most of the heat from the fireplace seems to go straight up -- candles on the mantle become soft or outright melt, etc. In other houses, the heat radiates out and very little goes straight up -- the mantle is always cool to the touch, even when there's a roaring fire a couple of feet below it. It all depends on the design of the fireplace.

The other thing to keep in mind is heat from the chimney. If the TV is being hung on the face of the wall or built into some sort of millwork that will be installed on the face of the wall, there is less chance of trouble than if it is recessed into the wall. If the TV is recessed in the wall above the fireplace, the back of the TV could end up being quite warm and toasty due to its close proximity to the chimney.

iwire

Staff member
I am such a noob, I was under the mistaken belief that the correct location for a TV is where the TVs owner likes it.:cool:

As far as the heat above a fireplace, don't we often find, pictures, flowers, portraits, plastic nicknacks etc. above fireplaces?

I would not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.