kwik-couple rigid conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Anybody had any experience, good or bad with [FONT=&quot]kwik-couple rigid conduit ?

http://www.alliedeg.us/index.php?P=Kwik-CoupleIMCGRC
[/FONT]
It maintains the bonding integrity comparable to couplings. But it is not clear whether it is also as liquid or gas tight as conventional tapered thread couplings. (The non-threaded part which holds the coupling to the pipe section that it came with.)

plumb bob

I have not personally used it, but it seems installation would be much easier. A lot of the battle with rigid is spinning a bent piece of pipe on to another. These essentially have a three piece on one end. Seems like it would be easier to install ;)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I have not personally used it, but it seems installation would be much easier. A lot of the battle with rigid is spinning a bent piece of pipe on to another. These essentially have a three piece on one end. Seems like it would be easier to install ;)
It looks like it would also free you from the plumber's nightmare of having to disassemble the system from the far end to undo a joint in the middle.
(Of course you might just cut it....)

plumb bob

I wonder if you can reuse the spinning piece on the end if you cut and re-thread that side of the conduit. I bet not, there must be some sort of shoulder that it spins against.

edit for spelling

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I wonder if you can reuse the spinning piece on the end if you cut and re-thread that side of the conduit. I bet not, there must be some sort of shoulder that it spins against.

edit for spelling
Yeah, it looks like you either use it full length or you cut and field thread the end opposite the spinner, leaving you with a "scrap" section that will just have conventional threads at both ends after you thread the cut end.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I tried it once a long time ago, and we had issues with the coupling coming apart. (that is the free spinning coupling came off the pipe ) That was when the product first came out. The manufacturer says that the coupling connection to the pipe has been redesigned, but I have never tried it after that first time.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It maintains the bonding integrity comparable to couplings. But it is not clear whether it is also as liquid or gas tight as conventional tapered thread couplings. (The non-threaded part which holds the coupling to the pipe section that it came with.)
I don't see conduit couplings as being liquid or gas tight. Conduit couplings have straight threads and they leak. Only the threads on the conduit itself have tapered threads.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I don't see conduit couplings as being liquid or gas tight. Conduit couplings have straight threads and they leak. Only the threads on the conduit itself have tapered threads.

Standard pipe couplings have tapered threads, and I would not have expected female-female couplings for rigid to have straight threads either Among them) other things it would not even provide good mechanical strength.
I know that adapters for EMT have straight threads since they are intended to be used with nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.