Securing and supporting type MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainwireman

As I interpret the code,

A. I could run say 50 feet of type MC cable, 12/2, on joists spaced 18 inches apart for 50 feet and never have to put one staple or other approved method (exceptions not included) as long as I secured this cable within the code from both junction boxes on either end of this run and be code compliant.

B. I could use a typical tie wrap (cable tie) with an eye that a wood screw drilled into a wood framing member as an approved securing method within 12 inches of a sub-panel.

C. If two lighting fixtures wired in with MC cable are within 23 inches of the connectors to these fixtures mounted on the steel cross arms of a commercial shelf, typical in big box stores, this MC cable is considered supported because the connectors are considered a means of support for this cable.

Once again, I am at war with those that huff and puff but can not show me the specific code section.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As I interpret the code,

A. I could run say 50 feet of type MC cable, 12/2, on joists spaced 18 inches apart for 50 feet and never have to put one staple or other approved method (exceptions not included) as long as I secured this cable within the code from both junction boxes on either end of this run and be code compliant.

B. I could use a typical tie wrap (cable tie) with an eye that a wood screw drilled into a wood framing member as an approved securing method within 12 inches of a sub-panel.

C. If two lighting fixtures wired in with MC cable are within 23 inches of the connectors to these fixtures mounted on the steel cross arms of a commercial shelf, typical in big box stores, this MC cable is considered supported because the connectors are considered a means of support for this cable.

Once again, I am at war with those that huff and puff but can not show me the specific code section.

(A) Probably OK. It depends on the situation. 330.30(c) or 330.30(d)(1)
(B) Yes you are OK with cable tie. 330.30(a)
(C) Yes you are OK to use the cable connector as support between the fixtures. 330.30(d)(2)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks, I see the NEC handbook spells this out in far greater detail so I will confront those that are certain they know more with solid evidence.
IMHO the 2011 Handbook leaves things far from clear, since the comment states that MC laid on top of horizontal framing is considered supported, but there is no corresponding code language to support [sic] that. The next section, states that when installed IN (rather than ON) framing, it is considered both secured and supported. (And may not necessarily require additional separate securing if the nearest hole is within 12" of the box cabinet or fitting.)
Since that section is named "Supporting", I find it hard to make the argument that laying it across the framing actually is counted as support. It certainly is not stated explicitly.
This is one case where I am open to the argument that one reason that the Handbook is not normative is that it is sometimes wrong. :)

captainwireman

IMHO the 2011 Handbook leaves things far from clear, since the comment states that MC laid on top of horizontal framing is considered supported, but there is no corresponding code language to support [sic] that. The next section, states that when installed IN (rather than ON) framing, it is considered both secured and supported. (And may not necessarily require additional separate securing if the nearest hole is within 12" of the box cabinet or fitting.)
Since that section is named "Supporting", I find it hard to make the argument that laying it across the framing actually is counted as support. It certainly is not stated explicitly.
This is one case where I am open to the argument that one reason that the Handbook is not normative is that it is sometimes wrong. :)

Agreed. I think that throwing in a simple approved strap would be the best bet. The main concern was with the tie wrap method and the connectors in the lighting fixtures. I have a huge problem not being certain and telling someone else, particularly an apprentice, something is fact when I am not sure. Unlike the posturing, know it all types who regularly step in their $#!&.:sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.