Michigan Residential Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is there anyone else here that works regularly with the 1 and 2 family Michigan Residential Code? A question that I have is regarding the use of ungrounded receptacles that are in existing homes.
I have run into several instances where independent home inspectors( hired by buyers to inspect homes for sale)will go through and include in their report that the ungrounded receptacles should be changed to 3 wire grounding type. I know that the NEC directly addresses this issue in 406.3(D)(3) (2008), but the MRC has no mention of it.Am I missing it somewhere in the MRC or does it simply not exist there. Once this has been noted by the inspector it seems to open a can of worms as far as an economical way to resolve it. Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there anyone else here that works regularly with the 1 and 2 family Michigan Residential Code? A question that I have is regarding the use of ungrounded receptacles that are in existing homes.
I have run into several instances where independent home inspectors( hired by buyers to inspect homes for sale)will go through and include in their report that the ungrounded receptacles should be changed to 3 wire grounding type. I know that the NEC directly addresses this issue in 406.3(D)(3) (2008), but the MRC has no mention of it.Am I missing it somewhere in the MRC or does it simply not exist there. Once this has been noted by the inspector it seems to open a can of worms as far as an economical way to resolve it. Thanks.
406.3(D)(2) [2011] addresses it more directly.
What home inspectors (who know their business) typically expect to see as mitigation (not required, but desirable) is the replacement of two wire receptacles with ungrounded but GFCI-protected 3 wire receptacles. This does not usually involve modifications to the wiring, pulling extra wires, finding code-acceptable ground connection points, etc. Instead it requires installing as few as one GFCI receptacle per branch and either leaving the remaining two-wire receptacles or replacing them with properly labelled 3 wire receptacles.

Replacing all two-wire receptacles with GFCI receptacles is a conservative solution, and avoids tedious searching for the controlling GFCI in case of a trip. But it also requires that you NOT use the feed through terminals of any of the GFCI receptacles you install.

nizak

Are 2 wire receptacles a code violation if they are currently installed in living rooms, bedrooms, hallways, etc.?

nizak

You hit the nail on the head when you stated(the ones who really know their business). This particular inspector noted the ungrounded devices but failed to see the #14 and #12 gauge branch circuits connected directly to the 100A Mains. Or the fact that some of the 60+ year old breakers were almost impossible to reset. He did make a note that the panel should be replaced since there was no room for future expansion. It just seems that many of these inspectors are not qualified to be assessing many of the items they do. They seem to find just enough to justify their 300.00-500.00 fee and then when you call and question them their reply is we can't look at everything 100%. The funny part about this one is that the inspector included a picture of the main disconnect with the cover off and the violation not noted was as plain as day.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are 2 wire receptacles a code violation if they are currently installed in living rooms, bedrooms, hallways, etc.?
In general as long as you do not modify the circuit in any way (extend, replace receptacles, etc.) neither the 2 wire receptacles nor the lack of GFCI protection are code violations as long as they were code compliant when installed.
Depending on the scope of work you do, whether a permit is required, and the ever popular local ordinances, you may not be required to correct these even if they were code violations when installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.