Electrical outlet above fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer interested in a recessed electrical outlet [like an tv outlet] above a gas fireplace. I have wired several of these new and always had to be careful of not breaching the sheetrock that is required as a fire stop. Anyone familiar with what building code is called for around these type fireplaces? A really nice newer home but no as built blueprints or photos of the construction process?? I could never understand that.

Thanks for your response

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a customer interested in a recessed electrical outlet [like an tv outlet] above a gas fireplace. I have wired several of these new and always had to be careful of not breaching the sheetrock that is required as a fire stop. Anyone familiar with what building code is called for around these type fireplaces? A really nice home newer home but no as built blueprints or photos of the construction process?? I could never understand that.

Thanks for your response

Unlike a wood fireplace, a gas fireplace or fireplace insert may only require a rated non-combustible surface for a limited distance above the opening. You might be OK just on that basis. This will be part of the listing documentation for the gas fireplace, not necessarily part of the building code.
I would not run wire like NM vertically through any kind of firestop or blocking that I encounter without using a suitable fire caulk.

Ohms law

I have a customer interested in a recessed electrical outlet [like an tv outlet] above a gas fireplace. I have wired several of these new and always had to be careful of not breaching the sheetrock that is required as a fire stop. Anyone familiar with what building code is called for around these type fireplaces? A really nice newer home but no as built blueprints or photos of the construction process?? I could never understand that.

Thanks for your response

i have never had an issue with installing a ARLINGTON TVBU505 or TVBU505k. They are great for new and old work and they go right behind a TV mounted on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.