Mechanical Engineer wants to learn more EE for Power Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie3

Hi all,

I got my degree in ME, but would very much like to learn more detailed aspects of Electrical Engineering especially as it relates to power generation, transmission, and distribution. Can anyone recommend a good book or two or other resources. I've taken circuit analysis classes as part of my ME education, but we didn't get into a lot of detail of AC, 3-phase power, or a lot of practicalities in the industry.

thanks,
JP

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Power engineering is a lot like joining the Masons. Much of it is not available to mere mortals.

I will sell you the secret handshake and code words though so you can get in. :)

gar

Occupation
EE
131019-2046 EDT

winnie3:

You need to more completely define your goals. If you really want to become an EE, then the most efficient way is to go back to a classroom school.

If you just want some background in a specific area, then self study in a book may work.

If your goal is to simply have some background to support your mechanical work, then you need broad concept fundamentals. For example: an ideal three phase motor with a constant amplitude rotating magnetic vector (in the real world it is pretty close) has a constant output torque, while a single phase motor has a significant pulsation to output torque. A single phase motor is like pumping a swing, and three phase motor is like a weight, a drum, and a rope.

Hi all,

I got my degree in ME, but would very much like to learn more detailed aspects of Electrical Engineering especially as it relates to power generation, transmission, and distribution. Can anyone recommend a good book or two or other resources. I've taken circuit analysis classes as part of my ME education, but we didn't get into a lot of detail of AC, 3-phase power, or a lot of practicalities in the industry.

thanks,
JP

Those would be three different majors with overlapping coursework. So the theoretical courses could be obtained through online coursework, but I found that current EE graduates seriously lack practical knowledge. Cozying up to an old-salt EE who is willing to share is a good way to overcome that gap and he would also be able to guide you to specific courses to take.

Power engineering is a lot like joining the Masons.

Not sure I'm with you on that, becoming a Mason was far easier than learning the intricacies of rotating machines (which I've long since forgotten) :D.

There are some books that will help, other than the NEC handbook. I like Practical Electrical Wiring (Richter & Hartwell); first read that when I was a teen. Also Soares Book on Grounding and Bonding (NFPA), and the American Electrician's Handbook (Hartwell, Croft, Summers), which is, um, rather dense. There's also Electrical Wiring Industriall (Herman), but I don't have that on my shelf. All of them are available used.

None of the, of course, is a substitute for supervised experience, but I'm sure you knew that.

Besoeker

Those would be three different majors with overlapping coursework. So the theoretical courses could be obtained through online coursework, but I found that current EE graduates seriously lack practical knowledge. Cozying up to an old-salt EE who is willing to share is a good way to overcome that gap and he would also be able to guide you to specific courses to take.
Hey old geezer!
Puting yourself for the self-appointed mentor!!!

If so, I'll second you!

cadpoint

I'm going to go on the Low and just say go take some C. College courses on electrical wiring.

OR

Even taking a prep course for State Level Electrician testing; you will get more of solving power equations then now studing about the theory or aspects of what being an EE are.

Last edited:

__dan

They offer a two year AS degree and a standard transfer to a four year program with a neighboring university. I believe the transfer to the four year program is a BS engineering. I have looked at this for myself but have not signed up at this time.

This program in particular was set up in association with NERC and some electric power utilities specifically to feed graduates into utility power, as linemen, operators, and techs. So it's a dedicated utility power program, which is hard to find elsewhere as most universities offer electronics engineering degrees.

I do not know how readily the credits otherwise transfer into any other university's EE degree program. They may qualify for some EE credit.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
They offer a two year AS degree and a standard transfer to a four year program with a neighboring university. I believe the transfer to the four year program is a BS engineering. I have looked at this for myself but have not signed up at this time.

This program in particular was set up in association with NERC and some electric power utilities specifically to feed graduates into utility power, as linemen, operators, and techs. So it's a dedicated utility power program, which is hard to find elsewhere as most universities offer electronics engineering degrees.

I do not know how readily the credits otherwise transfer into any other university's EE degree program. They may qualify for some EE credit.
I am going to check it out. I already have my EE degree and PE license, but I have left the semiconductor bidness (after 23 years, and not by choice) and I am now in commercial solar. I am figuring out a lot, but I sure would like to get some real training in three phase power and medium voltage distribution.

templdl

Yes, it has been me experience that EEs are more apt to be electronics EEs and have very kitty if any real knowledge in power.
Matter of facy I have not found it not unusual for MEs to be more versed I'm electric power than a EE.
My advise would be to target a university that has a EE program that targets electric power distribution protection and control.

mgookin

I'd find out what books are used by a school that teaches the degree you want; get the core course books. As an engineer you're capable of teaching yourself; that's what engineers do. Get the books and syllabi and get to it. If you dedicate 4 hours per weekday and 8 hours per weekend you should be able to do a class in about a month. In 5-6 months you'll be really smart(er)!

jcassity

step 1 i always recommend to someone who's about smart enough to hurt themselves,,,,

go to lowes or other box stores, go to the electrical aisle

look for a little yellow book called "UGLY's"

it will have enough food in there for you to marry up to your ME degree and all the rough 1000ft view of the electrical industry.

Couple the above with a google search of the US Navy "NEETS" manuals.~ or you can join up like i did and go through the A & C schools for aviation electronics.

next up,, entertain the magical world of Telecommunications -48v power systems by teaming up with a vet in that specific industry.
example, when you ask an AC guy if voltage goes down at your outlet, what happens to current, they will say current also goes down.
in a car, the answer will be the same.
in Telecommunications, if voltage goes down, the current will go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.