Receptacles required within the wall space that has a bench seat..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to find a reference in the code dictating that a section of built in bench/box seats either needs to have outlets per the six foot rule or does not? My understanding from 210.52 (A) (1) is that floor space in front of the built in seats is considerable floor space needed to be compliant with, "Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 6' from an outlet". My client would like to avoid the outlets. I have a fireplace with 8' of built in bench seat on both sides. So there would be no outlets along a span of wall measuring at 20' 6". Opinions, Insight, Interpretations, experiences with others interpretations are all welcome. I may be calling the inspector later this morning..

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I'm hoping to find a reference in the code dictating that a section of built in bench/box seats either needs to have outlets per the six foot rule or does not? My understanding from 210.52 (A) (1) is that floor space in front of the built in seats is considerable floor space needed to be compliant with, "Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 6' from an outlet". My client would like to avoid the outlets. I have a fireplace with 8' of built in bench seat on both sides. So there would be no outlets along a span of wall measuring at 20' 6". Opinions, Insight, Interpretations, experiences with others interpretations are all welcome. I may be calling the inspector later this morning..

(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following: (1)
spacer.gif
Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets

Changed From 2008

?
spacer.gif
210.52(A)(2)(1): Revised to exclude openings similar to doorways and to fixed cabinets from wall space determination.

(2)
spacer.gif
The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, excluding sliding panels

(3)
spacer.gif
The space afforded by fixed room dividers, such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings

My opinion would be required

kwired

Electron manager
I would probably want more details on this "bench". But I also would still consider the fact that the customer probably wants some receptacles somewhere on this wall (even if they don't know it yet). People always seem to come up with something they want to plug in at this kind of location.

mwm1752

I would agree with Kwired -- there is a judgement call on the determination whether the fixed bench is a fixed cabinet, IMO generally it is -- same situation occurs with built in bunk beds.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would agree with Kwired -- there is a judgement call on the determination whether the fixed bench is a fixed cabinet, IMO generally it is -- same situation occurs with built in bunk beds.

If the fixed bench opens for storage, put the receptacles out of sight inside and get the best of both worlds.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My opinion is that receptacles are not required, but I agree that the customer would be glad on some later day if there were at least one receptacle on each side of the fireplace. I don't like the notion of hiding them within the storage space. Whatever you need to open, in order to get at the receptacle, would have to remain open for the duration of the time something is plugged in. I would suggest putting them along the wall above the bench.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see how it's required under the 2011 NEC. The space taken up by the fireplace and the fixed cabinets are not considered part of the wall space just like a door opening.

Volta

I don't see how it's required under the 2011 NEC. The space taken up by the fireplace and the fixed cabinets are not considered part of the wall space just like a door opening.

To me, they are pretty clearly considered to be wall space.

NEC 2011 210.52(A) said:
....(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets

I would expect to see them within 6' of the fireplace, on each side.

Volta

If the fixed bench opens for storage, put the receptacles out of sight inside and get the best of both worlds.

I think the bench may easily be considered a cabinet. If so, then those within, though perhaps nice to have for some purposes, wouldn't cover for those required.

NEC 210.52 said:
Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (51?2 ft) above the floor...

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, a cabinet is not considered a bench or a bench considered a cabinet.

I agree that a bench is a wall space and 6'12' rule does apply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To me, they are pretty clearly considered to be wall space.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NEC 2011 210.52(A)
....(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets

I would expect to see them within 6' of the fireplace, on each side.

You're not reading that section correctly. It says that the 2' or more wall space is unbroken by the fireplace or cabinet just like a doorway. Whether or not the benches used for storage are a fixed cabinet is a separate discussion. :)

Volta

You're not reading that section correctly. It says that the 2' or more wall space is unbroken by the fireplace or cabinet just like a doorway. Whether or not the benches used for storage are a fixed cabinet is a separate discussion. :)

Hmm, you're right. Reading backwards I guess.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Whether or not the benches used for storage are a fixed cabinet is a separate discussion.
We don't know they will be used for storage. The OP only said they were benches. If this were my house, I would not want to waste the space, and would put hinges on the seating surface, so as to allow storage within. The key question then, is "what is a cabinet?" My dictionary includes the definition, "a piece of furniture with shelves, drawers, etc., for holding or displaying objects." The benches won't have shelves, but they might have drawers, and a hinged top would be counted within the "etc." of the definition. And I would say that such a piece of furniture would be used to hold objects. So I reaffirm my earlier statement that I think no receptacles are required.

mwm1752

We don't know they will be used for storage. The OP only said they were benches. If this were my house, I would not want to waste the space, and would put hinges on the seating surface, so as to allow storage within. The key question then, is "what is a cabinet?" My dictionary includes the definition, "a piece of furniture with shelves, drawers, etc., for holding or displaying objects." The benches won't have shelves, but they might have drawers, and a hinged top would be counted within the "etc." of the definition. And I would say that such a piece of furniture would be used to hold objects. So I reaffirm my earlier statement that I think no receptacles are required.

So do you consider a built in bunk bed with no drawers against wall space as cabinet? The design for drawers may not be made at rough in.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Really??????? why Over complicate things????? wall space is wall space..... fixed seating is fixed seating. A Built in bench is fixed seating, unlike a bar that the seats are not fixed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
At one of our meeting with cmp members as panelist we were told an entire room with bookcases would not need an outlet at all since there were no walls. I doubt you would find many inspectors to agree with that interpretation.

IMO, if there is a fireplace within 5' of the bench then an outlet is required no more than 6' from the opening

Status
Not open for further replies.