NEC 314.29 related to Access Control Wireing

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does 314.29 apply to access control wiring at a Door? If the junction box is above a door and only used to redistribute insulated conductors by breaking out a Hybrid Security Cable (bannana cable). No splices or connections are made in the Junction box, it is only used to for junctions of individual pathways in the wall. The ceiling will be a drywall (inaccessable) at the door location. If I inerpret the NEC correctly 314.29 Does not differentiate between passthrough wiring or Spliced/terminated wireing in the JB. Articles affecting Class 2 and 3 circuits and communications cabling only state to comply with chapter 3. Therefor an access panel must be installed in the ceiling. Is this correct?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
how does 314.29 apply to access control wiring at a Door? If the junction box is above a door and only used to redistribute insulated conductors by breaking out a Hybrid Security Cable (bannana cable). No splices or connections are made in the Junction box, it is only used to for junctions of individual pathways in the wall. The ceiling will be a drywall (inaccessable) at the door location. If I inerpret the NEC correctly 314.29 Does not differentiate between passthrough wiring or Spliced/terminated wireing in the JB. Articles affecting Class 2 and 3 circuits and communications cabling only state to comply with chapter 3. Therefor an access panel must be installed in the ceiling. Is this correct?

Not sure what specifically you are asking for. From what I gather you are asking about junction boxes for Class 2 and 3 wiring methods, if so 314.29 will not apply to article 725

725.3 Other Articles. Circuits and equipment shall comply with the articles or sections listed in 725.3 (A) through (J). Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 circuits.

Not sure what specifically you are asking for. From what I gather you are asking about junction boxes for Class 2 and 3 wiring methods, if so 314.29 will not apply to article 725

725.3 Other Articles. Circuits and equipment shall comply with the articles or sections listed in 725.3 (A) through (J). Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 circuits.

Thank you for the reply Gregg. And I would agree if we take the Code as written. But consider this, as 725.3 states "Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 circuits" This only address Article 300.xx and not Chapter 3 in its entirety. 314.29 falls outside of article 300.xx. The reason I need to be clear on this is because either the GC or My company will need to be responsible for installing the access panels if they are required. If I am interpreting the NEC incorrectly, please let me know, I am thick skinned... I only want to be correct on my quote or push the cost to the ceiling trade through the GC.

cadpoint

This is the problem within 725, one has to step back in thought and recall that each Class of wiring methods is broken down in the latter parts of 725.

This is the problem within 725.3 specifically since it given in the opening of the Article it imply's open license to deviate from all that comes before and after in the NEC Code. Why is this because it's low voltage, why because it's not called out exactly to be followed based on 725.3? I whole hardheartedly think not.

725.3 is specifically calling out exactly when to us what, when it is needed to be followed with exactly yet limiting requirements; IE using cable tray-see this,in a hazardous area-see this, vertical support-see this.

725.3 needs a real re-write. Take the word ?Only? out of the first of the sentence. What needs to be said is ?For the following applications?... those sections of,(continue the article), etc. Or ?Where only applying the following installations, procedures, techniques, follow only those articles listed, etc,(continue the article).

There is a lot that follows 725.3; if one was to remember anything is that 725.3 is not an end all. Use the exact Class of wiring methods deeper in 725 and keep 725.3 in the back of your mind when, the what,where, an why of the odd aspects of the installations need to be used via 725.3.

Last edited:
This is the problem within 725, one has to step back in thought and recall that each Class of wiring methods is broken down in the latter parts of 725.

This is the problem within 725.3 specifically since it given in the opening of the Article it imply's open license to deviate from all that comes before and after in the NEC Code. Why is this because it's low voltage, why because it's not called out exactly to be followed based on 725.3? I whole hardheartedly think not.

725.3 is specifically calling out exactly when to us what, when it is needed to be followed with exactly yet limiting requirements; IE using cable tray-see this,in a hazardous area-see this, vertical support-see this.

725.3 needs a real re-write. Take the word ?Only? out of the first of the sentence. What needs to be said is ?For the following applications?... those sections of,(continue the article), etc. Or ?Where only applying the following installations, procedures, techniques, follow only those articles listed, etc,(continue the article).

There is a lot that follows 725.3; if one was to remember anything is that 725.3 is not an end all. Use the exact Class of wiring methods deeper in 725 and keep 725.3 in the back of your mind when, the what,where, an why of the odd aspects of the installations need to be used via 725.3.

This is another valid point.... and I agree. However, if we take all responses into account; what is the answer? I will rephrase the question: Does a Junction box used for cable/wire pass-through have to be accessible if for Class 2 circuits (security- access control at a door) Per the NEC? (I am not looking for Best Practices or ask the AHJ replies) I am looking for correct interpretation of the CODE and its intent. The Junction box will be installed above a door and the ceiling will be Drywall (in-accessible).

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
This is another valid point.... and I agree. However, if we take all responses into account; what is the answer? I will rephrase the question: Does a Junction box used for cable/wire pass-through have to be accessible if for Class 2 circuits (security- access control at a door) Per the NEC? (I am not looking for Best Practices or ask the AHJ replies) I am looking for correct interpretation of the CODE and its intent. The Junction box will be installed above a door and the ceiling will be Drywall (in-accessible).

Is the class 2 run in conduit?

If the answer is yes then I would say yes on the accessabillity.

Class 2 is not required to have splices made in junction boxes or required to be run in conduit in most scenarios. If the wiring method of running it in conduit is elected then 314.29 would apply.

Is the class 2 run in conduit?

If the answer is yes then I would say yes on the accessabillity.

Class 2 is not required to have splices made in junction boxes or required to be run in conduit in most scenarios. If the wiring method of running it in conduit is elected then 314.29 would apply.

Not in conduit to the junction box. Only EMT or FMC from JB to door contact, REX, mag lock and Card reader....all in or at the door. Each have dedicated insulated pairs (18/2...) that break out of the one "bannana" cable at the JB in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.