Brown smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Does any one know of a line of residential smoke and smoke/co2 detectors in a dark color. All I can find is white.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Are you allowed to paint them? It's been a while since I looked at mine, but I thought they said "DO NOT PAINT" right on them.

I think you're right. It would be kind of cool though to have resi smokes available in various colors like trim plates and devices.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I finally took one down in my house because it crapped out. It was a light brown but I don't see those in the stores/supply houses anymore.

dhalleron

I've never seen a choice for different color smoke alarms and I installed my first smoke alarm around 1981.

When you get into system type smoke detectors there are some options. System Sensor sells a black kit for the older style detectors. http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/SPDS13801.pdf

The reason smoke alarms say do not paint on them is to keep people from clogging up the screen and preventing smoke getting inside the chamber.

It might not be exactly code compliant, but I have seen people take apart the smoke alarm and use a plastic compatible spray paint to paint the plastic, then put it all back together. The object is to keep the paint out of the screen, chamber and electronics.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've never seen a choice for different color smoke alarms and I installed my first smoke alarm around 1981.

When you get into system type smoke detectors there are some options. System Sensor sells a black kit for the older style detectors. http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/SPDS13801.pdf

The reason smoke alarms say do not paint on them is to keep people from clogging up the screen and preventing smoke getting inside the chamber.

It might not be exactly code compliant, but I have seen people take apart the smoke alarm and use a plastic compatible spray paint to paint the plastic, then put it all back together. The object is to keep the paint out of the screen, chamber and electronics.
Unfortunately, that's where it turns into a liability issue. I tend to be of the opinion that if an individual wants to do something like disassemble their smoke alarms, paint the outside cover, and reassemble them in order to get a certain "look", they just need to understand and accept the fact that their insurance company may use it as an excuse not to pay if their house burns down. Still, it their home and nobody's really going to be able to stop them.

In my opinion, it becomes much dicier if a Contractor offers to do this for the homeowner, or if an Engineer puts instructions for painting smoke alarms on a set of drawings. Now, when the insurance company doesn't pay after a fire, the homeowner can go after the Contractor and/or Engineer. That's not a situation I would want to touch with a 10-foot pole.

Then again, maybe living in the People's Republic of California has just made me paranoid about lawsuits.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I finally took one down in my house because it crapped out. It was a light brown but I don't see those in the stores/supply houses anymore.

Your detector likely started life white. Over time the plastic will discolor, especially if there are/were smokers in the house.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why on earth would anyone want a dark color Smoke? Aren't ceilings white (with some exceptions)
Smokes are not always mounted on ceilings. Sometimes a wall mounting is necessary, and if the spacing is done properly it is compliant.
Now a mirrored ceiling would pose a real problem.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Your detector likely started life white. Over time the plastic will discolor, especially if there are/were smokers in the house.

Nope, I put it up myself right out of the box. It was brown going up and brown coming down. My wife never liked it on the white wall of the hall.

Can't remember for sure, but I think it was a Sears unit.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Nope, I put it up myself right out of the box. It was brown going up and brown coming down. My wife never liked it on the white wall of the hall.

Can't remember for sure, but I think it was a Sears unit.

Well, learn something new every day.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are you allowed to paint them? It's been a while since I looked at mine, but I thought they said "DO NOT PAINT" right on them.
I think that applies to heat detectors. Painting them would have an adverse affect on the rating and functionality of the unit. You can take smoke detectors apart, remove the electronics and spray paint the housings. Or, you can try darkening them with shoe polish. The down side of doing this is that if the unit ever becomes defective it's not a simple change out. You have to go through the dis-assembly re-assembly process all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.