Knob & Tube splices in wall?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer where the carpenter hit some knob & tube wiring in a couple of places and I cant get them into a junction boxes, unless they want to see access panels in their kitchen ceiling.. Any suggestions??? I don't know if these in-wall splice kits would be acceptable for knob and tube.. Thanks!!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a customer where the carpenter hit some knob & tube wiring in a couple of places and I cant get them into a junction boxes, unless they want to see access panels in their kitchen ceiling.. Any suggestions??? I don't know if these in-wall splice kits would be acceptable for knob and tube.. Thanks!!

Sell a new circuit.:thumbsup:

templdl

Oh heck, I once worked for an interior home remodeler as a cabinet installer isto fill in the gap between jobs for myself and he had a very simple solution for that. I was watching when they used a sawzal to enlarge a doorway. The cut a knob and tube wire and they had a simple solution. The simply reconnected the wires with wire nuts and did what Ted Green would have done, wrap it with duct tape.
The same contractor Used plastic boxes in a kitchen wired with BX. Thinking that it was the same as Romex he simply stuck the BX through the holes of the plastic box and connected the witres to the devices. That contractor was a member or NARI as a quality contractor and even may have been a member of the BBB.
I soon found another opportunity with someone who was more reputable. That was many, may years ago.

templdl

It may be like trying to make a will purse out of a sow's ear. Sometimes anything that you do may be a vast improvement or the existing K&T.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is any type of K&T modification legal? I have someone who is removing a wall with K&T and would like to re-feed the circuit and cut the K&T back to the nearest splice.

IMHO you can only cut the K&T back to the nearest splice if that splice is made accessible, i.e. in attic or basement rather than in a wall.
Even if the splice was originally in a wall.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It may be like trying to make a will purse out of a sow's ear. Sometimes anything that you do may be a vast improvement or the existing K&T.

I've heard of "silk" out of a sow's ear, but not will.:happyno:

Are you by chance using "speech to text" on a tablet or phone?

If so, you need a better translator as yours has a hearing problem!:lol:

templdl

I've heard of "silk" out of a sow's ear, but not will.:happyno:

Are you by chance using "speech to text" on a tablet or phone?

If so, you need a better translator as yours has a hearing problem!:lol:

Just checking to see if paying attention and you didn't disappoint me.
It's really my big fingers while trying to type on my NEXUS. I lost my styus and have some more ordered.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am with Leo.

Why are you trying to make the old stuff work, you are not doing any good service. Sell them a new circuit.

You still have the problem of just how to disconnect from the old K&T unless you rewire everything which was on the old circuit. And hope it was not an MWBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.