emt connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

at what size wire must a plastic bushing be used on the straight connector entering the box,is it a number 4 or larger? site article thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
OP asked for EMT connector.

I don't think the plastic bushing is required for EMT connectors. At least it is not required in 358.46 as it is in other XXX.46 section.

iwire

Staff member

I don't think the plastic bushing is required for EMT connectors. At least it is not required in 358.46 as it is in other XXX.46 section.

It is required for conductors 4 and larger by 300.4 as Chris pointed out.

darekelec

Although OP asked about emt connectors let's not forget about RMC entering a box.
344.46 Bushings. Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, orother enclosure, a bushing shall be provided to protect thewire from abrasion unless the design of the box, fitting, orenclosure is such as to afford equivalent protection.
FPN: See 300.4(G) for the protection of conductors sizes 4AWG and larger at bushings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A good graphic from Mike:

011ecmCSfig8.gif

iwire

Staff member
A good graphic from Mike:

011ecmCSfig8.gif

Not sure I agree with the graphic regarding PVC

352.46 Bushings. Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.

I don't see a size limitation.

kwired

Electron manager

It is required for conductors 4 and larger by 300.4 as Chris pointed out.
I agree with you and Chris. Also if the connector would have an insulated throat or otherwise has edges that will not cause damage to the conductor it is probably designed/listed to not require the added bushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.