does this look safe and up to code

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsond

I do dish installs. That is an unapproved mount and an immediate fail if your install would get checked. And IMHO not safe. There is plenty of room on that roof to to a proper install with the proper mast.I would guess the customer didn't want anymore holes in his roof. A proper install will not leak.With all the complaints about how dishs are installed by unqualified installers I honestly dont see how this could or should be considered a good install.Once I work on a system according to the dish people I own that install.For me I would walk away. Someone else can own that install.

iwire

Staff member
I did not see anyone say it was a good install, just typical and none of my business unless the customer hired me to fix it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I did not see anyone say it was a good install, just typical and none of my business unless the customer hired me to fix it.

The OP, jacobsond, is looking at this from the point of view of a dish installer or troubleshooter, not necessarily the viewpoint of an electrician or EC.
If the call he was on had anything to do with the satellite TV system, then even if that install is directly related to the customer complaint I would be reluctant to do any work on the system until that was corrected.

If as an electrician I got a totally unrelated call, I would agree that it would be OK to do that work, but in some locations I would be legally required to present a hazardous condition report to the owner and/or tenant.

PS: It is also an interesting illustration of what even some Electricians are willing to do when it is a DIY job on their own property and not going to be inspected.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is that duct tape around the cables at the foot of the riser? Or just roofing cement slapped on?
I do not see that the roofing cement over those cables is doing anything to improve the rain protection of the flashing and drip cap (which look a little flaky too.)

Yep it's duct tape alright!
I was called to give an estimate on repairing/replacing the mast since the whole thing was leaning and had pulled loose.

I don't think they liked my price and that I told them they had to call the phone and cable companies to re-do their lines since they weren't supposed to be on the mast.
I told them if they didn't call I was just going to cut their lines loose and let them drop.:happyyes:

iwire

Staff member
The OP, jacobsond, is looking at this from the point of view of a dish installer or troubleshooter, not necessarily the viewpoint of an electrician or EC.

Thank you for your interpretation, in the morning I will need to tie my shoes can you help me with that as well?

Try these:D
View Larger 10" Roper Lineman Boot

- AVAILABLE APRIL 2011

- Pull-on style boot built with linemen in mind
- Easy to get on and off without the hassles of lacing
- Focusing on light weight, this boot features a combined leather/cordura upper
- A waterproof bootie was added to keep your feet dry
- DUAL STEEL SHANKS
- Sturdy midsole provide your feet with climbing support not found on other pull-on style boots
- Although this boot contains a waterproof bootie, Hoffman's is unable to guarantee the waterproofness of the boot

Npstewart

How do you know that the satellite guy wasn't the one who installed the pole and maybe the POCO used the pole to mount their rain head? Sometimes you have to think outside the box...

kwired

Electron manager
How do you know that the satellite guy wasn't the one who installed the pole and maybe the POCO used the pole to mount their rain head? Sometimes you have to think outside the box...

Apparently you have never been around many satellite installers.

The bracket that is attached to the mast in the OP photo is the same bracket they usually just lag bolt to the roof and then put roofing cement over the bolts to seal them from leaking. None of them would take the time to properly install such a mast, it would be slapped together very fast and maybe wouldn't even have a flashing, if it had a flashing it would not be worked into the laps of the shingles properly and would just have a bunch of roofing cement applied in hopes of making a good seal. And if they were taking the time to install such a mast, why not run their cables down that mast instead of routing them around the roof overhang?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Apparently you have never been around many satellite installers.

The bracket that is attached to the mast in the OP photo is the same bracket they usually just lag bolt to the roof and then put roofing cement over the bolts to seal them from leaking. None of them would take the time to properly install such a mast, it would be slapped together very fast and maybe wouldn't even have a flashing, if it had a flashing it would not be worked into the laps of the shingles properly and would just have a bunch of roofing cement applied in hopes of making a good seal. And if they were taking the time to install such a mast, why not run their cables down that mast instead of routing them around the roof overhang?
Remarkably low sarcasm detection sensitivity for a Friday.....
Or maybe just a straight-faced reply in the same spirit?
:)

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I am going with 'Too anxious to demonstrate their knowledge to recognize sarcasm' for 1,000 Alex. :D
You have found the second of our two Daily Doubles in this round. You can risk up to your entire reputation, and only you will be allowed to answer. :)
Just remember to give it in the form of a question.

bullheimer

HOWZ THIS?

HOWZ THIS?

job i looked at last week:

2013-10-25 10.14.23(5).jpg

im sorry about the large image being sideways. but the top one isn't, i dont know how to fix.

service drop above the roof, going to weather head under eve. Attachment point is roof jack.

Attachments

• 2013-10-25 10.14.23(1).jpg
    2013-10-25 10.14.23(1).jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You have found the second of our two Daily Doubles in this round. You can risk up to your entire reputation, and only you will be allowed to answer. :)
Just remember to give it in the form of a question.
Also, if you do not have a reputation, you can borrow one to risk. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.