Exam Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer morgan

:)I recently took a journeyman exam in NM. There were a few questions I couldn't find answers to if anybody could help that be great.

1- Wire splices under vaults need to be supported at how many inches on either side of splice. 2 4 5 6 I have never heard of splices under vaults.

2- Scratches and minor defects in wire cause what? Resistance, voltage drop and I don't remember the other two options.

3- What is the primary function of the metal coating on underground communication cable?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
:)I recently took a journeyman exam in NM. There were a few questions I couldn't find answers to if anybody could help that be great.
2- Scratches and minor defects in wire cause what? Resistance, voltage drop and I don't remember the other two options.
Was the voltage specified? At high voltages scratches on the wire could cause insulation failure.
In any application they can make the conductor more likely to break during handling, flexing or vibration.

jer morgan

They did not specify voltage and I wish I could remember the choices. I know resistance was an option but I can't remember the other options. It seems like it would be a simple answer. If scratches and minor defects were such a big deal we wouldn't be allowed to pull wires thru raceways.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They did not specify voltage and I wish I could remember the choices. I know resistance was an option but I can't remember the other options. It seems like it would be a simple answer. If scratches and minor defects were such a big deal we wouldn't be allowed to pull wires thru raceways.

I was thinking more of scratches and nicks im the copper or aluminum, not in the insulation.
:)

Besoeker

They are trying to see how you think.
Surely with multiple choice answer types of test you have one right answer and the others are wrong?
Your score is based just on the number of right/wrong answers.

I mention this on the basis of a training day yesterday to renew my site safety passport, a minimum mandatory requirement to be permitted on to most, if not all, major customer sites in UK.
There are a number of tests each of which are twenty multple choice (A-D) questions. Better than 18/20 on all is required to get a pass and the passport renewed for another three years.

Some of the questions are Mickey Mouse and some a test of memory.
Fatalities per year related to carcinogens in the work place.
HAVS results in carpal tunnel syndrome, or carpool syndrome, silly stuff like that.

I get the impression that there are sufficient easy questions to get a pass rate and just a few less obvious thrown in to makes a 100% score not a huge probability.
Do they test how you think?
Not in my opinion.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
For question #1, it seems to me that if you are "under" a vault, then you are in dirt. So the question does not make sense.

For question #2, I would look for an answer along the lines of "leakage current."

For question #3, my guess would be to reduce the effect of any surrounding magnetic fields on the signals going through the conductors that are surrounded by the coating.

When I took the Wisconsin Master Electrician test we had to have a copy of the NEC as well as our Wisconsin commerce dept additions to the NEC or Comm 16. Out of the 50 questions there where at least four from the Comm 16 code addition. Maybe your state has thier own additions.

normbac

1- Wire splices under vaults need to be supported at how many inches on either side of splice. 2 4 5 6 I have never heard of splices under vaults.

3- What is the primary function of the metal coating on underground communication cable?
I recently had to replace a300 ft run to an office trailer due to corrosion on underground AL wire obvious scrathes nicks in wire caused wire to corrode down to its last strands
sometimes eliminating the obvious wrong answers is easier than knowing the answer to the question.

kwired

Electron manager
I recently had to replace a300 ft run to an office trailer due to corrosion on underground AL wire obvious scrathes nicks in wire caused wire to corrode down to its last strands
sometimes eliminating the obvious wrong answers is easier than knowing the answer to the question.

If you have one spot that was damaged, it is less cost to repair that spot - assuming you have a fault locator to find the right spot.

If you have multiple bad spots someone either handled that conductor very poorly before installing or you have a rodent problem and need to install it in a raceway.

normbac

If you have one spot that was damaged, it is less cost to repair that spot - assuming you have a fault locator to find the right spot.

If you have multiple bad spots someone either handled that conductor very poorly before installing or you have a rodent problem and need to install it in a raceway.
it was in 2 in pvc one spot corroded though 50 ft in but the owners decided they wanted all wires replaced new from main servise to office trailer. looked liked they pulled it with a rock in the cinduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.