bonding booster pump motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumathum

I have three motors that are controlled by a single controller, there purpose being to increase water pressure in a large multi unit residential building. My feeder ends at the controller and the three motors are connected to the controller with 3 conductor SO type cord and wired by the plumbing contractor. The AHJ is asking that a bonding jumper be installed from each motor to the next. Is this required as he can not produce a code section to back this up.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have three motors that are controlled by a single controller, there purpose being to increase water pressure in a large multi unit residential building. My feeder ends at the controller and the three motors are connected to the controller with 3 conductor SO type cord and wired by the plumbing contractor. The AHJ is asking that a bonding jumper be installed from each motor to the next. Is this required as he can not produce a code section to back this up.

Probably referencing 250.112 (L) Motor Operated Water Pumps

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
But all that would require is that each of the three motors be connected to an EGC, not that they also be separately bonded to each other. ??

Would the EGC be used to connect normally non current carrying metal part such as the pump frame?

kwired

Electron manager
Each motor requires an EGC. The pump and frame do not require an EGC but are usually inherently bonded as they are also attached to the motor that is bonded.

Should bonding jumpers be necessary for metallic piping between these pumps is completely different issue and is part of bonding of piping system requirements. Some may see these pumps as something that is designed for frequent removal and require assured bonding around the pump to maintain continuity of the piping system, but this should not necessarily require bonding between each pump, especially if they are all in close proximity to one another.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They're usually five stories apart in a highrise.
A ten story bonding jumper would be interesting to tell stories about in the Campfire Chat.
And we do not know why the inspector would want a bonding jumper from the first pump to the last rather than just locally around each pump.
The EGC is already there, and should serve the same purpose if properly connected to the plumbing on either side of the pump assembly.

kwired

Electron manager
They're usually five stories apart in a highrise.
I don't care if they are 5 stories apart or 5 inches apart, the rules are the same either way.

The motors need equipment grounding conductors and needs to be in accordance with part VI of art 250. Those equipment grounding conductors will need to be routed with the motor supply conductors or be the raceway enclosing them.

If any metallic piping needs bonding it is covered in part V of art 250.

Two completely different things here.

mgookin

I don't care if they are 5 stories apart or 5 inches apart, the rules are the same either way.

The motors need equipment grounding conductors and needs to be in accordance with part VI of art 250. Those equipment grounding conductors will need to be routed with the motor supply conductors or be the raceway enclosing them.

If any metallic piping needs bonding it is covered in part V of art 250.

Two completely different things here.

I only mentioned those distances because someone made a comment regarding proximity. I don't think anyone doesn't think they need bonding, but the question is whether each pump needs a bond to each other pump directly which would require additional work with no logical benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kwired

Electron manager
I only mentioned those distances because someone made a comment regarding proximity.

We request to strike that remark your honor.

I don't think anyone doesn't think they need bonding, but the question is whether each pump needs a bond to each other pump directly which would require additional work with no logical benefit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Additional bonding is not necessary, there is a need to bond the piping system if it is metallic, and the motors each need an EGC even though there is this metal piping that is likely already bonding them.

mgookin

We request to strike that remark your honor.

Additional bonding is not necessary, there is a need to bond the piping system if it is metallic, and the motors each need an EGC even though there is this metal piping that is likely already bonding them.

I think we all agree on that but it's the inspector who disagrees. Another situation of do you challenge the inspector or just do what he wants to get your work signed off...

Status
Not open for further replies.