Electrical room lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Is there a code article for electrical rooms requiring emergency lighting?? The only article I can find is 110.34 (D).

Thanks

700.16 Emergency Illumination. Emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.

Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any individual lighting element, such as the burning out of a lamp, cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination.

Where high-intensity discharge lighting such as high- and low-pressure sodium, mercury vapor, and metal halide is used as the sole source of normal illumination, the emergency lighting system shall be required to operate until normal illumination has been restored.

Exception: Alternative means that ensure emergency lighting illumination level is maintained shall be permitted.

mwm1752

110.26 does not require emergency lighting only lighting and an electric room would not be considered part of the means of egress.

700.16 Emergency Illumination. Emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.

seems it is necessary to provide light in an electric room which is a good arguement for 700.16

kwired

Electron manager
Is there a code article for electrical rooms requiring emergency lighting?? The only article I can find is 110.34 (D).

Thanks

When it is required it is required by other codes and not directly by the NEC and will usually be when you have a "legally required" standby system as part of the code that makes it legally required.

RICK NAPIER

seems it is necessary to provide light in an electric room which is a good arguement for 700.16

Under that broad definition emergency illumination would be required "for attics and underfloor spaces containing equipment requiring servicing" or for any habitable room without adequate natural illimination.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Under that broad definition emergency illumination would be required "for attics and underfloor spaces containing equipment requiring servicing" or for any habitable room without adequate natural illimination.
And as a matter of common sense, it should also apply to windowless rooms, wherever situated, which contain equipment requiring servicing (which during an outage may well include the equipment room. :)
So, definitely a good idea. Required or not may depend on code cycle. I think it is more explicit in [2014].

You could always work by the light of the ubiquitous cell phone.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Proposals to require emergency lighting have been rejected in the last several Code cycles.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

Where does the NEC require illumination for attics and underfloor spaces or for any habitable rooms?

kwired

Electron manager

I realize what it says can easily be taken to mean just that, but I have a pretty good feeling the intent is not to include required lighting from art 210, but rather to include any illumination required by whatever code or standard is calling for emergency illumination.

Emergency illumination is generally required for egress purposes or for areas where people will be expected to be present during the condition causing the need for emergency illumination. So unless you intend for people to gather in or for them to egress through the mechanical areas you probably don't have to illuminate that area when normal power is lost in most cases.

And as a matter of common sense, it should also apply to windowless rooms, wherever situated, which contain equipment requiring servicing (which during an outage may well include the equipment room. :)
So, definitely a good idea. Required or not may depend on code cycle. I think it is more explicit in [2014].

You could always work by the light of the ubiquitous cell phone.

It is more strict in 2014 NEC. 700.16 says "Where an emergency system is installed, emergency illumination shall be provided in the area of the disconnecting means required by 225.31 and 230.70, as applicable, where the disconnecting means are installed indoors".

Thanks

I know this question came up before, but as far I know there are no NEC requirements except for the new 2014 NEC.
The only other code article I think might apply is 2005 NFPA 110 7.3.1. It's mostly for generators, but I have seen people interpret not just for generator rooms. It states, "that emergency power supply locations should be provided with battery-powered emergency lighting except if the unit is located outdoors in an enclosure that does not include walk-in access.

I do not know if your electrical room would be an emergency power supply location. ;-)

fmtjfw

Since I was likely to be the one checking things and turning breakers off and etc., I put emergency lighting in each new electrical room I installed. I guessed that the $50 -- $100 battery E light was a very small percentage when compared to the $1000s in panels and switchgear.

But then thats just me.:ashamed1:

iwire

Staff member
Since I was likely to be the one checking things and turning breakers off and etc., I put emergency lighting in each new electrical room I installed. I guessed that the $50 -- $100 battery E light was a very small percentage when compared to the $1000s in panels and switchgear.

But then thats just me.:ashamed1:

What good is it when it will not be maintained?

mgookin

Emergency lighting is required by building & fire (life safety) codes.

The NEC just says how you wire it when it's required. Just like smoke detectors.

fmtjfw

What good is it when it will not be maintained?

We usually check them yearly. Also during a power outage, while we're waiting for the power company, we'd roam around and mark the ones that went out early, then sweep back when the ordered batteries arrived and fix them.

mwm1752

I realize what it says can easily be taken to mean just that, but I have a pretty good feeling the intent is not to include required lighting from art 210, but rather to include any illumination required by whatever code or standard is calling for emergency illumination.

Emergency illumination is generally required for egress purposes or for areas where people will be expected to be present during the condition causing the need for emergency illumination. So unless you intend for people to gather in or for them to egress through the mechanical areas you probably don't have to illuminate that area when normal power is lost in most cases.

I thought it was interesting that the code section mentioned 3 different types of inclusions for em lighting -- egress which is IBC -- exit signs which is IBC -- all other required lighting, please give me an example of other required lighting that does not include egress or exit signs.

jcbabb

I don't see where the NEC calls for emergency lighting in an electrical room, but I do think it is a good idea to provide it.

For those of you that believe the NEC does require it, what is your opinion on the following scenarios:

1. A designated electrical room?
2. A single panel in a general use area that does not require egress lighting?
3. A single panel located outside the building in an area that does not require egress lighting?
4. A main service disconnect inside or outside without other panels present in an area that does not require egress lighting?
5. Adjacent to a standby generator in an area that does not require egress lighting?

I'm not asking where you think it would be a good idea, but where you believe the code requires it. Just curious, as I've had these discussions quite frequently (usually when one is missed and someone is being asked to pay for it).

Status
Not open for further replies.