Fire Ball rolls through on power lines in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Moderator note: This video contains strong language. Be aware of your surroundings before clicking on it.

I know all of you will be interested in this video. Here's the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M45Br7f0Ec

I guess it go so hot, that the people shooting the video had to get away from the window! Amazing, and scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Christopherson

Pretty Cool. I suspect it was just like a Jacob's Ladder, except instead of heat causing the plasma to rise, a slight breeze cause it to travel sideways down the line.

I just read further and found out that this was right after a huge windstorm knocked out power in the area. Probably an HV line dropped on a line spaced for a much lower voltage.

Seen that happen before. Two phases swinging then when they meet or get close an arc forms. Then as the phases swing again it doesn't break, the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up. If a recloser or breaker doesn't see the required fault current or the re-set time is short, then this can go on until the phases burn down. Could take hours, but most likely a dispatcher or troubleman will shut it down instead of waiting for it to trip.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up

Actually, at high currents, it moves AWAY from the source due to loop magnetic forces. At low currents (mA, like a vertical Jacob's ladder) it follows air buoyant forces or, if horizontal, a breeze as Rick said. I'd say magnetic forces as it went toward the house.

the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up

Actually, at high currents, it moves AWAY from the source due to loop magnetic forces. At low currents (mA, like a vertical Jacob's ladder) it follows air buoyant forces or, if horizontal, a breeze as Rick said. I'd say magnetic forces as it went toward the house.

Gotcha. I don't recall which way the arc was moving in the two times that I saw it happen. Just know it was traveling from the middle of the section back to the pole until the air gap was big enough to break it.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Seen that happen before. Two phases swinging then when they meet or get close an arc forms. Then as the phases swing again it doesn't break, the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up. If a recloser or breaker doesn't see the required fault current or the re-set time is short, then this can go on until the phases burn down. Could take hours, but most likely a dispatcher or troubleman will shut it down instead of waiting for it to trip.

Yep, same thing happened out side the stadium the night the lights went out at Candlestick Park, SF couple yrs ago :D

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
More likely the idiot used that language because he was putting it on youtube and wanted to sound cool. Normal people would just say WOW look at that.

-Hal
Apparently the requirement for being an idiot in your judgement is pretty broad. I guess I am an idiot as well because I probably would have expressed myself in a similar manner if I had been there when it happened.

iwire

Staff member
Really? A ball of fire coming down your street only gets a "Wow look at that"

Better than "Not again!"

:D

Apparently the requirement for being an idiot in your judgement is pretty broad. I guess I am an idiot as well because I probably would have expressed myself in a similar manner if I had been there when it happened.

Another idiot here, a big ball of noisy fire passing my house would get a stream of words I can't type here.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
wow

wow

hmm, would not most folks here see that type an arc and exclaim:

'hey, look there, the 13.9 Kv feeder on the street is arcing due to the Wilson's willow tree shorting it out, looks like about 2.8kA fault current, moving the arc down the line due to about a 7 Nt loop force due to a few gauss of field', or something like that ??

rather than " wholly ...."

Status
Not open for further replies.