vertical panel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
are you asking about mounting on a vertical vs. horizontal surface or just orientation of a panel mounted on a vertical surface?

Robert Gisch

vertical panel orientation?

vertical panel orientation?

Asking about panel orientation, does the NEC require a panel to be mounted in the vertical position, or is the reference 404.7 switches/indicating and 404.6(c) position and connection of switches the only reference regarding panel orientation?

kwired

Electron manager
Asking about panel orientation, does the NEC require a panel to be mounted in the vertical position, or is the reference 404.7 switches/indicating and 404.6(c) position and connection of switches the only reference regarding panel orientation?

Those sections have a natural way of creating limitations wouldn't you say?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Using some Square D as an example, however this applies to most companies:
8 circuit load center, bussing goes horizontal, breakers mount on one side only therefore breakers are vertical, off is down.
20 circuit load center, bussing is vertical, breakers mount on both sides therefore breakers are horizontal, off is left or right.

Many years ago, it was not uncommon to find panels mounted sideways, so that some breakers were 'off is up'.
I believe the NEC change occurred within the last 15years. I am also sure sideways is still allowed in Canada.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
8 circuit load center, bussing goes horizontal, breakers mount on one side only therefore breakers are vertical, off is down.
20 circuit load center, bussing is vertical, breakers mount on both sides therefore breakers are horizontal, off is left or right.

Many years ago, it was not uncommon to find panels mounted sideways, so that some breakers were 'off is up'.
I believe the NEC change occurred within the last 15years. I am also sure sideways is still allowed in Canada.

Assuming that Mike Holmes and/or his electricians know what they're doing, I agree.

norcal

I-T-E Imperial Corp loadcenters, models EQ6, EQ8 & 3Rmodels WEQ6, WEQ8 models had 2 or 4 spaces mounted w/ the "ON" being down, Cutler-Hammer type CH, & GE, had similar models.

The 1978 & 1981 NEC has 240-81 which required circuit breakers in switchboards if mounted vertical, for "ON" to be up, in the 1984 edition panelboards was added. 240-81 did not exist in the 1971 NEC.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I believe the NEC change occurred within the last 15years.
15 years ago was 1998, didn't the change occur before that?

I have had my hands in some old eight circuit QO panels where half the breakers turned off going down and half going up. Based on the orientation of the lugs I would say they were not mounted sideways. They would have been of the late 70's, early 80's vintage. I was never able to purchase or install one with the same configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.