Lock Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It is listed as one of the acceptable means of bonding conduits on systems over 250 volts to ground in 250.97 (provided no eccentric/concentric knockouts are encountered)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is also required in hazardous areas and mobile homes--550.15(F). I will add that I have never seen RMC run without a locknut on both sides unless a threadless connector was used.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have. It is a violation, but some people will use a locknut and a metal bushing.
Well you say it is a violation but I have not seen an article other than the few mentioned that requires 2 locknuts. I thought it was a violation but I don't see the art.

jumper

jumper

I can't imagine why a locknut is only required on one side. Just does not seem right. :thumbsdown:

It would depend whether there is a fitting, such as the threadless connector you mentioned earlier, or some other fitting is used I suppose.

As I think of it, a coupling and a chase nipple would not use a locknut at all, silly install, but could be compliant.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In don't read it that way. Unless otherwise specified a metal bushing on the inside and a locknut on the outside of the enclosure is an acceptable means.
I discussed it with a UL rep and he is in agreement. To me, the wording on the referenced Appleton cut sheet can indicate a locknut on the outside and a metal bushing on the inside.
We my end up agreeing to disagree.

kwired

Electron manager
In don't read it that way. Unless otherwise specified a metal bushing on the inside and a locknut on the outside of the enclosure is an acceptable means.
I discussed it with a UL rep and he is in agreement. To me, the wording on the referenced Appleton cut sheet can indicate a locknut on the outside and a metal bushing on the inside.
We my end up agreeing to disagree.

Until the conductors are 4AWG or larger, then the bushing must be "insulating" according to 300.4(G).

kwired

Electron manager
True but that is not what Gus is addressing. Besides you could have a metal bushing with an insulated throat
I think it is what is addressed. A metal bushing can be on inside of enclosure and locknut on outside to secure the raceway to the enclosure, then we have 300.4(G) to comply with on top of securing the raceway. I did not quote the entire section, but yes a metal bushing with insulated throat should fulfill the requirements of that section.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think it is what is addressed. A metal bushing can be on inside of enclosure and locknut on outside to secure the raceway to the enclosure, then we have 300.4(G) to comply with on top of securing the raceway. I did not quote the entire section, but yes a metal bushing with insulated throat should fulfill the requirements of that section.

I understand that but the insulated throat or bushing was not what this thread is about. That is all I am saying. You just added another dimension to the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.