Occupancy Sensor Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

According to the energy code and the NEC is a wall switch and an occupancy sensor required where occupancy sensors are required? A large room would be better served if the occupancy sensor is located on the ceiling. If so do I also need to install a wall switch?

Thank you,

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Switch or a sensor on the wall-

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in
210.70(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets
shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (A)(2),
and (A)(3).
(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch?controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and
bathroom.

Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets shall be permitted to be
controlled by occupancy sensors that are (1) in addition to
wall switches or (2) located at a customary wall switch lo-
cation and equipped with a manual override that will allow
the sensor to function as a wall switch.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC only requires wall switch controls for lighting in dwellings.

I don't know what may be required from energy codes, but would guess that occupancy sensors are more of a requirement for non dwellings.

This would make it less likely for the need for both requirements to pop up in the same installation.

That said, nothing says you can't have both in the circuit either. I have put ceiling mounted occupancy sensors in school classroms along with wall switches as it sometimes is desired to turn lights off while room is occupied.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Awesome, thanks Dave.

What is the required override switch behavior? I can see a need to key the light on or keep it on (large area with few sensors), and also to override off for media presentations..
You can integrate both functions easily at the sensor, but harder to do with a separate switch.

Ravenvalor

NEC only requires wall switch controls for lighting in dwellings.

I don't know what may be required from energy codes, but would guess that occupancy sensors are more of a requirement for non dwellings.

This would make it less likely for the need for both requirements to pop up in the same installation.

That said, nothing says you can't have both in the circuit either. I have put ceiling mounted occupancy sensors in school classroms along with wall switches as it sometimes is desired to turn lights off while room is occupied.

good news. Thank you.

Ravenvalor

What is the required override switch behavior? I can see a need to key the light on or keep it on (large area with few sensors), and also to override off for media presentations..
You can integrate both functions easily at the sensor, but harder to do with a separate switch.

Personally I do not see a need for an override switch. Just concerned about violating the code. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.