A new perspective on TUB wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was recently at a job where the homeowner/builder or whomever (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make the laundry area directly in front of the main breaker panel and left no working clearance to do any wiring in that panel. So, a friend of mine had to sit in the tub and sometimes on the washing machine with his legs in the drainage tub in order to work in the panel. Don't laugh too hard. Aside from working clearance can you think of any other code violations ? BTW, it was a fiberglass tub so, as long as he wasn't sitting on the washing machine or touching any plumbing fittings he wasn't grounded :p

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Aside from working clearance can you think of any other code violations ?
Was there a normal dead front cover on the panel which he removed? Was it possible to easily remove and re-install that panel within the space of the opening provided?

If opening the cabinet door exposed just what is shown in the picture, that is another major code violation.

vetehead

I was recently at a job where the homeowner/builder or whomever (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make the laundry area directly in front of the main breaker panel and left no working clearance to do any wiring in that panel. So, a friend of mine had to sit in the tub and sometimes on the washing machine with his legs in the drainage tub in order to work in the panel. Don't laugh too hard. Aside from working clearance can you think of any other code violations ? BTW, it was a fiberglass tub so, as long as he wasn't sitting on the washing machine or touching any plumbing fittings he wasn't grounded :p

Phil,That's one good looking chap!:lol:
:thumbsup:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Was there a normal dead front cover on the panel which he removed? Was it possible to easily remove and re-install that panel within the space of the opening provided?

If opening the cabinet door exposed just what is shown in the picture, that is another major code violation.
Yes, there was a proper panel cover on. I can't remember if the 2 top screws were in or accessable though.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes, there was a proper panel cover on. I can't remember if the 2 top screws were in or accessible though.
OK. Let's proceed to the minor stuff then:

1. Workmanship: The panel looks crooked, but that may just be the photo.
2. Some or all of the NM looks like it is not fastened down (secured and supported) within the required distance of its entry into the panel.
3. Are there loose individual wires in the cavity around the pane? Again not clear from the picture. If there are any splices in that area, they are not in a proper enclosure.

Your friend is likely to lose his wire stripper/crimper if he is not careful. :)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK. Let's proceed to the minor stuff then:

1. Workmanship: The panel looks crooked, but that may just be the photo.
Quite possible but can't tell for sure.
2. Some or all of the NM looks like it is not fastened down (secured and supported) within the required distance of its entry into the panel.
Quite possible as well. If I were the one who had to add a branch circuit to this panel I probably would not have fastened down the wire either.
3. Are there loose individual wires in the cavity around the pane? Again not clear from the picture. If there are any splices in that area, they are not in a proper enclosure.
We were in the process of separating the grounds & neutrals for a gen set
Your friend is likely to lose his wire stripper/crimper if he is not careful. :)
That's what they make magnets on long strings for.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.