Matching the back of the 90 on different size conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm

I have a 2" rigid bent on a 90. I want to match the radius, without bending the 1" on the 2" shoe. It flattens it to much for my liking. Is there a way to do it like a segmented bend? Not trying to do a concentric. These bends go up then go horizontal. So I'm trying to make the back of my 1" 90 match the back of my 2" 90, just to clarify. Thanks

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

That's a great site, but don't forget there is some skill required to do segmented bending and have the pipe come out correct, straight and level.

Edit to add: Actually, if one considers the need to know the radius of the bend, the site may not be useful. How many know, or know how to calculate, the bend radius of any particular bending shoe?

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
For seg bending it's easier to bend a couple 90's and calculate the shrink. Using that number and the resulting length of the bent pipe, calculate the length of the bends.

If, for instance, there is a 8 inch difference in the bends, you would make 9 ten degree bends adding an inch between bends. Remember, there are only 8 'in-betweens' where you can add length in 9 bends.

I strongly recommend the use of a Chicago type bender for doing seg bending. I have done it on a 555, which sucked, and doing it with a hand bender and making it come out right without any wobble is real tough. I have never seen anyone that could do a 9 seg bend on a hand bender and make it look right.

And, speaking of looks, if the reason you don't just want to use concentrics is aesthetics, consider how marked up the seg bent pipe is going to be when you are done. One nice thing about a Chicago bender is the ease of which tape can be used in lieu of marker or pencil marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.