Bonding the frame of a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I have searched very persistently through multiple threads touching on this subject. I will use a general example. We are at a mine where they require all motors to not only have an EGC but also an external ground bonded to the frame of the motor(which in essence is an EGC). Now, per NEC 430.242, "The frames of stationary motors shall be grounded under the following conditions:
(1) Where supplied by metal-enclosed wiring
(2) Where in a wet location and not isolated or guarded
(3) If in a hazardous (classified) location
(4) If the motor operates with any terminal at over 150
volts to ground
Where the frame of the motor is not grounded, it shall
be permanently and effectively insulated from the ground."

This motor in question meets requirements 2,3,4.

Ok The argument is the method. I am stating that 250.122 is what you would use to externally bond this motor being that it is being used for the supply conductors and EGC ran with the feeders for this motor. There is no reason to install any larger bond wire being as there is only so much available current for a fault.

So the question is this: Do you size the external motor frame grounding conductor using 250.122?

What some contractors have been doing is installing this external case ground to a ground ring or to building steel which is also grounded to this same ground ring. In my opinion, I now see case for difference in potential if a fault occurs. But this isnt the issue.

I do not see a clear explicit explanation for this thru-out the code. Any further clarification to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ok. I have searched very persistently through multiple threads touching on this subject. I will use a general example. We are at a mine where they require all motors to not only have an EGC but also an external ground bonded to the frame of the motor(which in essence is an EGC). Now, per NEC 430.242, "The frames of stationary motors shall be grounded under the following conditions:
(1) Where supplied by metal-enclosed wiring
(2) Where in a wet location and not isolated or guarded
(3) If in a hazardous (classified) location
(4) If the motor operates with any terminal at over 150
volts to ground
Where the frame of the motor is not grounded, it shall
be permanently and effectively insulated from the ground."

This motor in question meets requirements 2,3,4.

Ok The argument is the method. I am stating that 250.122 is what you would use to externally bond this motor being that it is being used for the supply conductors and EGC ran with the feeders for this motor. There is no reason to install any larger bond wire being as there is only so much available current for a fault.

So the question is this: Do you size the external motor frame grounding conductor using 250.122?

What some contractors have been doing is installing this external case ground to a ground ring or to building steel which is also grounded to this same ground ring. In my opinion, I now see case for difference in potential if a fault occurs. But this isnt the issue.

I do not see a clear explicit explanation for this thru-out the code. Any further clarification to this matter would be greatly appreciated.
On the highlighted matter, those are conditions, not requirements. Nevertheless, a wire-type equipment bonding jumper is not actually required, but rather just one option.

Take for example condition #3: If in a hazardous (classified) location. That is further supplemented by...

250.100 Bonding in Hazardous (Classified) Locations.Regardless of the voltage of the electrical system, the electrical
continuity of non?current-carrying metal parts of
equipment, raceways, and other enclosures in any hazardous
(classified) location as defined in 500.5 shall be ensured
by any of the bonding methods specified in 250.92(B)(2)
through (B)(4). One or more of these bonding methods
shall be used whether or not equipment grounding conductors
of the wire type are installed.

250.92(B) said:

(2) Connections utilizing threaded couplings or threaded
hubs on enclosures if made up wrenchtight

(3) Threadless couplings and connectors if made up tight
for metal raceways and metal-clad cables

(4) Other listed devices, such as bonding-type locknuts, bushings,
or bushings with bonding jumpers

Smart $

Esteemed Member
When an external equipment bonding jumper is used...

250.102 said:
(D) Size ? Equipment Bonding Jumper on Load Side
of an Overcurrent Device. The equipment bonding jumper
on the load side of an overcurrent device(s) shall be sized
in accordance with 250.122.

A single common continuous equipment bonding jumper
shall be permitted to connect two or more raceways or cables
if the bonding jumper is sized in accordance with 250.122 for
the largest overcurrent device supplying circuits therein.

I agree on the "options".

250.102 makes perfect sense. The problem is now explaining in basic terms that this applies to motors lol. You'd be surprised at what I have to work with.

Thank you for your help!!

kwired

Electron manager
Is this "external grounding conductor" really an equipment grounding conductor or is it a method of preventing static buildup between the equipment and other objects in the area? What is being tied together?

The engineers do not specify the purpose. I suspect they are worried about personel and coming into contact. I see it as a redundant means is all.

Today I found out that the engineers have spec'd a 2/0 bare for the exterior bond as well lol. When asked. Can't give me a reason. Just that they want a 2/0. So. I take it as they don't have any idea why as well.

kwired

Electron manager
The engineers do not specify the purpose. I suspect they are worried about personel and coming into contact. I see it as a redundant means is all.

Today I found out that the engineers have spec'd a 2/0 bare for the exterior bond as well lol. When asked. Can't give me a reason. Just that they want a 2/0. So. I take it as they don't have any idea why as well.

They are worried about coming into contact with what? A motor frame that is already grounded via the EGC run with the motor circuit conductors:slaphead:

Something to bleed off static electricity in some situations I can make sense out of, but that likely means bonding between the equipment, other objects as well as some local electrode to the area of concern.

Please tell us they are not requiring a 2/0 bonding conductor for a motor that only draws 10 amps or something that extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.